Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
questions about nitrate and pH
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireflie77
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.19(Thu)2:03    Post subject: questions about nitrate and pH Reply with quote

I have a tank that's been going for about 8 months now and although my fish seem to be doing fine there are some things that aren't quite right on that I would like some advice on. First our nitrate level is usually about 60ppm. On the test it says 20-40 ppm is safe and the fish store told me 60 wasn't ideal but would pass. They gave us this stuff that is supposed to slowly bring down the nitrates so I'm trying it. I want to mention that we do regular water changes and have done anything from 10% to 50% in hopes of seeing a difference in that reading but haven't. I also tested the tap water and it doesn't come out at that level so it's not the water itself. My other question is the pH. Ours is 7.8 which according to the test is safe. Ideal however is 8.2-8.4. I know you can add stuff to it but is this something I will continually need to do and is that normal? As for our ammonia and nitrite we're good...both at 0. Thanks so much and I appreciate any input.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.10(Wed)5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of substrate do you have? CC and or a UGF can contribute to hi nitrates. Sometimes it is the change water itslef but you say you tested that. What size tank? And how many fish also what types do you have? Overstocking can cause hi nitrates also.

Most salts raise the pH of the water when you mix them to the 8.2-8.4 range what salt are you using? Also check your alkalinity if your alkalinity is off it will throw your pH off also. They work together you ccant have one without the other. You may need an alkalinity booster if its to low, that should be in the 9-12 dkh range.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: