Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
SALTWATER or FRESH??
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregtrobertson
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.18(Wed)20:02    Post subject: SALTWATER or FRESH?? Reply with quote

Hi...I am new to this hobby and I really want to start a 10 G Aquarium...I would like to get some Percula Clowns in saltwater but I am not sure of the commitment or required ammount of work.

If I was to try freshwater I would like to have live plants and VERY colorful fish. Does anybody have any suggestions or comments for me?

Thanks A Lot,

Greg
fireflie77
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.18(Wed)22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am by no means an expert but saltwater is definitely more work. You also have to have your water almost on target all the time also...it's a little less forgiving I guess. I have been told by several people that if you are going to do a saltwater tank you're better off with a little bigger tank. It can be done though because I've seen them. If you go with freshwater you definitely don't have the same vibrant colors in the fish. There are some but other than some of the tetras, beta and maybe one other a ten gallon tank isn't going to be able to house those with a little more color. With that said I think if you want the clownfish and are willing to spend a few hundred dollars more namely for extra supplies and/or rock then go for it. Just realize that it will be more work that you will need to commit to. Again this is just what I've heard consistently from people. Perhaps also doing a very inexpensive freshwater tank for a while may give you a better idea if you want the extra commitment of saltwater. Good luck with whatever you choose!!
cailan
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.23(Mon)20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest something bigger than a 10 gallon. 10 gallons are good for beginners but very limiting as to what you can keep in it. maybe try a 30 gallon. if you want colorful, either way fresh or salt, you're going to have to go bigger. cichlids are a good "substitute" for saltwater. they tend to be aggressive so just be careful. saltwater is a lot of work and if your'e new to the hobby, I really wouldn't do it. you could end up wasting a lot of money and time.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.10(Wed)5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a pair of clowns you would need a bigger tank around 25-30 gallons. A good rule for sw is 1" for 5 gallons of water some with experience go 1" for 3 gallons.

heres a good beginner site

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm
fletch
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.16(Tue)2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 15 gallon tank with 2 small clowns, a damsel, a sea star and a sea urchin. Everyone seems to get along fine. I do 25% water changes per week and have only a 15 watt energy saver light (does the job well). So far no problems and the tank has been running for about 3 months.

I don't do any tests so I make sure to do the water changes per week, every week. Occasionally I go to the aquarium shop... they test the water and tell me everything is fine.

10 gallon is starting to get too small. I could not afford a bigger tank either! Maybe just a pair of small fish... a damsel!! Simple sometimes looks the best.

Maintenance involves mainly testing water salinity (easy to measure) and water changes (I use 2 big water drums and fill them up monthly).

But if your just starting out the hobby, go freshwater and then you can focus on plants. Very Happy
icp
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.16(Tue)21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

salt water is a lot more work and you can't have as menny fish as in fresh water also the cost of mantaning is a lot more .

an idea if you decide fresh water you could get Indian Dwarf Puffer
ttp://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=971
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: