Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I'm a newbie...so much info I'm freaking out!!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireflie77
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.17(Tue)2:01    Post subject: I'm a newbie...so much info I'm freaking out!! Reply with quote

I set up a saltwater tank about 8 months ago and read some books. I also have dealt mainly with a reputable shop that appears to really appreciate the hobby. I found this board and feel overwhelmed. I have an 80 gal. tank. I feel like I've already messed up. Several questions. It looks like a lot of live rock to me but it sounds like 35 lbs is nothing from these posts. It seems like more wouldn't give the fish much room to swim. Should I add more when I can afford it? Second...this is what we have. A flame angel, a coral beauty, a bicolor angel, a purple firefish, a yellow tang, 2 percula clownfish, a bi-color pseudochromis, a green madarin, 2 snails, 2 emerald crabs, three tiny crabs, a green brittle star and yikes a batfish-which we were told an 80 gal tank was sufficient for but now I am reading that a batfish needs much more room. We bought the mandarin at another shop and I was told it would eat flake food but now I read that it is a very difficult fish and that it requires lots of those things on rocks. We may eventually need to get rid of the batfish I guess but what can I do to make sure my mandarin stays alive? Also I have a seaweed clip, feed the angelfish formula as well as something called spirulina formula. Is this sufficient for these fish or should I be feeding something additionally? Thanks so much for any advice!!
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.17(Tue)9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireflie calm down, the hobby is for you to appreciate and enjoy !
I have read so many books it is unbelievable and still hear so many different versions of how to do this this way and that way.
Advise is a lot of the time conflicting and although I have had sound advise from here books will say something else.
Although I have had advise from books I get sound advise from here also.
Only stress if you came across a problem, others will help you out here with a problem at a time and all will try and help.

Self teach by learning about YOUR mistakes and fish will help you be a good fish lover and keeper

You will be fine . Good luck

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.17(Tue)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm working on planted tanks, not salt. I won't be able to help much on the specifics. I would suggest looking up the fish you have for more information. You can check at:

http://www.fishindex.com/library
http://www.fishbase.org/search.cfm

If you have a fish that is supposed to be a picky eater, but you see it eating I wouldn't worry to much. Just make sure you are giving them a diet they need.

Quote:
it requires lots of those things on rocks.

Do you mean zoanthids?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=zoanthids&spell=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.18(Wed)7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be able to add lr later on as you can afford it. If its fully cured and gotten locally you can add it to your tank, if its partially cured or shipped in anyway you will have to cycle it seperatly before adding to the tank. Most of your fish seem OK for the tank but you do want to get more rock for the mandarin. There little but can clean rock of critters pretty good they are big eaters. Some may take to frozen foods like brine, mysis shrimp, or bloodworms but most don't. As far as the bat fish do you know what species you have they can get 15 inches and bigger, they do need a really big tank and are condidered expert only species. They can be very supceptible to ick, chew on corals, anenomes, and other inverts. Also when they become big may eat smaller fish.

Alge based foods are a good choice but also add some meaty foods as well shrimp, clam, squid or someting like that. A good mixed diet is the best way to prevent against disese especially with the tang and angels. Also you may have enough room with the tank since you have 3 small angels but keep an eye on aggressiveness. Most angels do not get along they need there own space.
fireflie77
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.18(Wed)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. He is an orbital batfish and right now he leaves everything alone, mainly swimming up top. The batfish is my husband's fish so I guess when the batfish gets bigger he'll have to part with him. All the rest of the fish seem to get along great. So far they haven't acted out towards each other. As far as their diet I have added brine shrimp as well as Zooplex both of which the lfs said the mandarin should benefit from. Hopefully with the rest of the stuff it will be enough. Again thanks for your help.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.18(Wed)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find orbit but I found orbiculate batfish

http://www.whozoo.org/Anlife2002/lexkabbe/EMK_Plataxorbicularis2.html
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: