Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
cycling tank...wheres the algae?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.16(Mon)9:01    Post subject: cycling tank...wheres the algae? Reply with quote

OK well first off let me say that it is good to be back...school is tough. anyway my 10g sw tank has been running for about 2 months with no fish or live rock. the reason for the long wait is my sw petshop is only open on sundays and I have been working sundays..so I will be getting at least 6 lbs of it this coming sunday..just to start I know it is expensive. I know that I will need like 12lbs when I am finished. however I have been talking to my friend who works at the sw shop and I was telling him that I have no algae on the tank at all. just a white material which I think is salt. the sand as of a few days ago was white but now is brown is this the start of the algae cycle. all water parameters are good..pH is 8 -8.2 everything else is 0. am I doing something wrong? thanks
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.16(Mon)22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you really cycling your tank?
No live rock, no fish, did you use ammonia or cooked shrimp?

Unless you answer yes to one of the above, you haven't started the cycle.
Just like in FW, you need a pollutent of sorts to get things going.

What do the other parameters look like:
pH, salinity, KH, temperatuyre

What kind of sand did you add?

keep us posted

Waffleman
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.18(Wed)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I guess I havent started cycling then lol Very Happy . well the tank has been up for 2 months and I will have the live rock on sunday. the pH is 8.2. the salinity is 1.021. I am using a aquaclear mini to help filter. I am using an argonite sand that I got at PetsMart. I can't remember the exact name tho. my hopes are to keep some corals, a small starfish if that is even possible in a 10g. I want to keep just one small small fish. I hermit or two and I turbo snail or two. the lighting is a flourescent strip light which I will install a 50/50 actinic light. well I think thats it for now. Razz
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.19(Thu)22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argonite sand is good. the salinity seems a bit on the low side. I aim for 1.023 to 1.025.

You will start cycling once you have the live rock in there.
I would get about 10 to 12 lbs. Since you don't need a lot, I would go for really nice show pieces with nice coraline growth on them. They usually are a little more expensive, but it's instant gratification.

After you have the rock in there wait a week before getting snails and crabs.
Then wait for about a month for the tank to cycle. In the mean time you can start looking for the small fish you want to keep in there

I asume you have a 20Watt bulb? That is good enough to cycle the rock and get coraline to grow. After that 1 would get another fixture (bulb) to double the wattage. That would allow you to grow more then just some mushrooms.

Are you (or will you) using a protein skimmer?

Good luck, send us a picture after you have the rock in there.
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.20(Fri)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan on using a skimmer, I don't think it is required on a small tank. I plan on doing a 10 -25% water change a week once cycled. I do plan on adding another 20watt fixture. would it be possible to use a incandescent fixture I havent heard of anyone using it. I have a flourescent now but I have an extra incand. fixture. I don't think it will work, lighting wise unless someone else has had luck with one. I am getting the live rock on sunday. I can't wait. Wink
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.20(Fri)22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skimmer is not really needed if you keep up with the water changes.

Stay away from the incandescent light. to much heat and totally wrong spectrum of light.
What you can do is to use the fixture but get the compact fluorescent bulb 50/50 with a screw base like this one:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23461;category_id=1845;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

Waffleman
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.21(Sat)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I like that light. I think I will buy it, will two fit in the fixture. or just one? anyway I also have this eclipse explorer 2 gallon. I was thinking of doing something salt related to it. I am not sure what yet, I don't plan on having fish in it. I was thinking of either a sump/refugium type set up any thoughts?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.10(Wed)5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your water changes with a small tank I would actually go 5-10% a week. You should never do over a 25% change. If you keep up on the water changes you can go without a skimmer.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: