Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Brain Coral Dying
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdstokes
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.12(Thu)23:54    Post subject: Brain Coral Dying Reply with quote

I have an open brain, along with many other corals and inverts in my 55 reef tank. Recently, the brain has been dissolving. Any ideas as to why the coral is dying. water quality is excellent, all other animals seem to be fine. I thought brains were some of the more hardy animals. thanks!
[/img]
fishgills
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.24(Tue)10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of lighting do you have? is your brain on the bottom? do you feed it? I've had my open green for four years, every two weeks I feed it a piece of sliversides or a piece of shrimp, I feed it one or two hours after the lights are out, and he's still growing.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.02.27(Fri)6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brains are hit and miss a few last forever most die in a few months. I've been lucky with mine one is pushing 2 years the other is hitting a year old.

I had a brain coral which looks like it was dead after a few weeks or die off. I was about to pull it out fo the tank cause I didn't want it too cause a nitrate spike but put it off cause that coral rocked.

Amazingly from looking pretty much dead it made a full recovery. It was about 6 months old when this happened.

My Brains red is 2 years old the green is almost a year. This pic is afew months old need to take a new one they are about twice this size now.

sytauro
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.06.23(Wed)23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the coral get sand/debris on it much? They can expend much energy just ridding their surfaces of sand & grit. Blow debris off it with the gentle puff from a turkey baster regularly or raise the coral from the sand floor.
SMOOLIES
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.17(Wed)13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a open brain that we've(my boyfriend and I)had for about 2 years. We feed him frozen foods and sometimes when we make sushi we'll cut him a little piece of fresh fish and place it gently on him. He really likes that. He keeps getting bigger and bigger. Very Happy
fishgills
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.17(Wed)15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the brain doing?
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

This an old (Feb) post, but for those having similar problems, I will add that many species like Hammer (Euphyllia ancora) Frog Spawn (Euphyllia divisa) Bubble (Plerogyra sinuosa) and Elegance (Catalphyllia jardinei) are silent aggressors and could be sending out stinging tentacles at night... please remember corals are animals designed to fight for every inch of light and space on the reef.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: