Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Info for 1st Saltwater Tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.07(Sat)18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't want to have any photosynthic corals, than NO 1 or 2flourescent should work fine; if you do, 2 or more 55 or 65 watt compact flourascents, 2 or more 75 watt VHO, or 3 to 6 24 watt T5 HO would alow you to keep most mid light corals.
stuffs4me
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.07(Sat)22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to have all live rock. Especially if you're setting up a large tank with a lot of rock it can be expensive. You can lay down artificial rock as your base and just cover the exterior of your structure with live rock. Eventually the artificial rock will become encrusted with life as well. Keep in mind though the more live rock you start with the better filtration you'll have and the faster your tank will initially cycle.
Tim McDonnell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.08(Sun)12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuffs 4me,
You said the more live rock to start with the better filtration. Does that mean that live rock can filter the aquarium water? Even so, I would still like to get some sort of another filter, what kind should I get that you all recommend? Any help is still appreciated!! Very Happy
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.10(Tue)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start with a 29 a pair of perculas would be nice along with one other small fish. Actually 6 fish would be considered overstocking. Gobies, blenny, cardinals they are fairly small and go well with clowns. I woulndt worry about lighting unless you go to corals.

You can get dead rock or lace rock both are cheaper then all live rock. Adding lr will seed it and spread. It would take a little time but it would work. The same thing with sand you can buy dry agragonite and seed with a pound or 2 of the live stuff. Sand and lr will act as a natural filter and denitrator, but you still need water flow. Powerheads are a good source along with a filter and skimmer. You could go with an penguin filter, I have an emporer on a 75 its the bigger version of it and it works well. Also they are quite affordable.

reef keeping 101
http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm
AquaticEnterprises
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.15(Sun)12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number of fish will depend on what kind of fish. Cardinals can be aggressive amongth themselves (they have a strong hierarchy tendency) and wouldn't really do well in a smaller tank. A mated pair of banggai would be fine. A pair of perculas would do well (get two small ones, as any couple will normally pair off).

In a 29g tank, I would just fill it with live rock if you can. Get yourself a 40-50lb box and be done with it. A deep sand bed (normal playground sand works fine) will accomplish most of your filtration.

Lighting, as other suggested, will be dependant on corals, if any. There are also some corals you can keep with NO flourescent lights as well.

Other filtration is not really needed, and will likely just contribute to unwanted algae growth.

Water movement in your typical marine tank should be somewhere along the lines of 5 times tank capacity per hour (ie: a 30g tank you'd want 150gph worth of water movement). More would be necessary if you're planning on keeping corals. Multiple, small powerheads are better than one large one.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: