Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Info for 1st Saltwater Tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim McDonnell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.03(Tue)18:26    Post subject: Info for 1st Saltwater Tank Reply with quote

Hello,
I am a beginner to Saltwater aquariums. I have always admired them. I know that they can cost a lot depending on the equipment selection and if you want to sustain a good marine enviroment. I know I do but I do not have a lot of money right know. So my questons are:

What is the minimum requirement size aquarium for a saltwater tank Question
What is the best filter to use Question
What lighting should be used Question (I would not like live coral or rock) ETC...
What does a protein skimmer do and would it be good to have Question

Generally, just anything would be helpful, Thanks Exclamation
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.03(Tue)23:02    Post subject: Re: Info for 1st Saltwater Tank Reply with quote

Tim McDonnell wrote:

What is the minimum requirement size aquarium for a saltwater tank Question

its best to go as big as you can afford. 55 is fairly good but it dosnt cost that much more to set up a 75 because they have roughly the same foot print.
Quote:

What is the best filter to use Question

pinning down a best in any thing is difficult. but live rock, a sand bed and maby a skimmer work very well. sumps can be very help ful to add extra valume w/o impacting the foot print. keep in mind that excess biological filtration can lead to nitrAte problems. natrual reefs are very nutriant poor.

Quote:
What lighting should be used Question (I would not like live coral or rock) ETC...

not have photosynthic corals will make it signifigantly cheaper. NO flourascnets should sufice. if you do decide you want corals, than you want somthing like CF, VHO, T5 or metal halide. however, live rock not only looks good, its contributetes signifigantly to your biological filtration. although expensive intialy, its incredibly help ful in all marine systems.

Quote:

What does a protein skimmer do and would it be good to have Question

protein skimmers produce lots of bubbles that attrack alsorts of "stuff"- not just proteins. a more aproprete name would be foam fractioner. any way, as the bubbles reach the top of the tube, they burst expeling their contents into a colection cup. unlike conventional filters the weast isnt left in the tanks water to rot and contribute to algae. IMO, its a good idea to have one, although its not nesacary. you can find skimmers in array of sizes and prices: less than $50 to over $1000, although most are between $100 and $500. they can be placed either in a sump or hang on tank.

finaly, you should do some reasurch: the conscientus marine aquarist by robert fenner and/or reef secrets by alf jacob nilson and svein fossa are good for geting the hang on marine; aquarium corals by eric bornman is an exlant choice for potential coral keepers.

[/I]
Tim McDonnell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.04(Wed)7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

"its best to go as big as you can afford. 55 is fairly good but it dosnt cost that much more to set up a 75 because they have roughly the same foot print."

Would a 20 or a 29 gallon aquarium be suitable for a couple of fish? I know I would not be able to afford a 55 Gallon or a 75 Gallon aquarium!
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.04(Wed)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should be fine, espcialy if you have kept fish before. but in a 29, you will probably only be able to have a couple small fish (at most 6).
Tim McDonnell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.05(Thu)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent Smith,
You said at the most six, does that mean that I could keep small clown fish? At least "peaceful" ones?
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.05(Thu)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should be fine. you could have a couple of clowns, chromis, or damsals and somthing like a royal gramma. if you don't plan on having any shrimp, than hawkfish are realy cool.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.06(Fri)1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first saltwater was a 32g. (30x12x21inches diameter) and I had an eclipse system 3 on it. it was a nice tank. if you just want fish and liverock and eclipse three on a 32g would work well. personally I think the best filtration for a saltwater is live rock a nice bed of substrate and a skimmer and a powerhead. in a 29 gallon fish only you could probaby get a dwarf angel like a coral beauty, flame angel or firball angel they all are very cool looking specimens. just my 0.02 dollars.
2 winged demons
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.02.06(Fri)5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent Smith wrote:
and somthing like a royal gramma.

In my Experience and as well as friends of mine who have kept them. They do not fare well in smaller tanks like the 29. They seem to be every territorial but not very aggressive to defend it so they get pushed into a corner and usually die. They need a lot of space to flourish. Also they needs many rocks to hide in so if your planning on a fish-only tank I wouldn't reccomend them either unless your gonna have a a lot of rock.
Tim McDonnell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.06(Fri)9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS,
I do plan on having a fish only tank. What fish would you recommend? Would Hawkfish be a species to keep?

By the way, is it possible to have one or two live rocks in the aquarium and the rest artificial? Thank you! Very Happy
Tim McDonnell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.07(Sat)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again, What should I do for lighting, any suggestions? Confused
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: