Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
first marine tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runciman
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.02(Mon)14:31    Post subject: first marine tank Reply with quote

Having kept a tropical tank for some time now I am considering my first marine tank.

Apart from the tank what equipment will I need to get started, and where is the best place to get it from? (UK)

I would like to keep damsels and clown fish.

I have done some reading up, and appreciate it will take several months to cycle.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.10(Tue)10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from the US so I'm not sure the best places are to get the stuff in the UK, but I have seen some european sites for saltwater maby take a look for them.

What size tank are you considering? For saltwater a bigger tank is reccomended, smaller tanks can flucuate a lot and can be very tough for a beginner. Bigger tanks are more stable. If you stay with a fish only you can stay with standard lighting that comes with most tanks, if you decide on corals then you will have to upgrade.

You would consider a filter, powerheads, skimmer, heater, thermometer, salinity tester, and test kits. Damsels and clownfish are very hardy and good beginner fish, but keep in mind damsels can become very aggressive in a tank. It usually takes about a month to cycle, a lot of places say use damsels but you can use peel and eat shrimp. Throw 3 or 4 pieces in a tank and it does the same as the damsels would. Also a cycle can be very hard on the fish and can cause damage or even kill fish. Also consider using live rock and live sand, it works as a natural filter, denitrator, and houses several critters.

heres a good beginner site

reef keeping 101

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm

I found some UK sites

http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/aquarium_supplies_MARINE_122.html

a list of UK sites

http://www.redhotchilli.co.uk/plants/aquarium-plant.htm
AquaticEnterprises
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.15(Sun)12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.uda.co.uk/

A good place to start for your first tank.

Before any proper recommendations can be made, I'd like to know what you're planning for your tank? Are you thinking of fish only? Or a tank with some corals in it? Or perhaps full-blown reef?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of using normal filtration methods in anything other than a fish-only tank. There are more effecient methods that will make your life much easier in the long run. Deep sand beds and protein skimming are the main methods I use in all my tanks. Live rock is also the best thing to cycle your tank with and will provide you with a large portion of your biological filtration until the sand bed gets up and running.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: