Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
First Saltwater tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avalanche
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.29(Thu)22:16    Post subject: First Saltwater tank Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I've been keeping fish for about 2 years now and have finally made my first steps towards a salt water tank. I plan on getting a brand spankin new 29gal (US) tank w/ live rock and live sand. Then I'll probably put about a dozen turbo snails, 6 or so red hermits, and for fish.. I've been eyeing 2 little spotted Damsels (forgot the correct name, but they are the ones that are black with white spots), and 2 faulse clowns. Please tell me if this is overstocked for a beginner. But the thing that I am most stuck on is what type of filtration would be most appropriate for my set-up? I've been looking at DIY wet/dry trickle filters, or would maybe even just a skimmer since the live rock? Please, I need your help! Laughing Thanks a bunch!
Avalanche
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.29(Thu)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh I also forgot to ask... Is there any books that I should got check out at my LFS? Very Happy
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.29(Thu)23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about lighting? for a 29, 2 55 to 65 watt CF's would be ideal if you wish to keep most moderate corals. however, NO flourscent(s) would be fine if its FOWLR.

id skip the wet/dry as its not only unseary but can lead to high nitrAte levels. however, the sump would be helpful. realy, pleanty off rock and sand and maby a skimmer are all you need. if you decide to get a skimmer (which I would highly recomend), id go w/ either the CPR bakpak or the aquaC remora. the bakpak is about $120 online and the remora is about $160. both- especialy the remore- are worth every penny. id avoid the red sea prizm, the skilter, or the seaclon unless you want to adjust every 15 minutes and still only get marginal preformanc...

the dammsals and the clowns may not get along: both are farily boisterus and may tussul.

the conscentius marine aquarist by robert fenner and reef secretes by alf jacob nilson and svein fossa are my top picks for books; the new marine aquarium by mike palleta is also very good but IMO, its too short. if wish to keep corals, aquarium corals by eric bornman is exalant.
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.29(Thu)23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed all the books are from microcosum, a branch of TFH if you need more info, were to find, etc.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.30(Fri)1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but I have to disagree about the red sea prizm skimmers for about 130can (probably 100-120us) the prism dose a good job. I had one on a 32g saltwater which was plagued by hair algae and after I installed it it removed the nutrients from the tank so well that the hair algae was hardly noticable. and I only found I had to ajust it once then put a black dot in indelible ink on the ajusting thing so that I would have it right all the time. thats just my two cents.
SLACkra
2 winged demons
Avalanche
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.30(Fri)4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for one thing, you guys would recommend still putting in a sump to run a skimmer, heater, and what-not off of but just not filter? Sounds good... Also with fish, if the faulse clowns and damsels don't get along, how about still the spotted damsels w/ a golden neon goby and a yellow tang? or 2 chromises w/ the goby? Very Happy
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.30(Fri)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avalanche wrote:
you guys would recommend still putting in a sump to run a skimmer, heater, and what-not off of but just not filter?

thats a very handy feature of sumps, so yes. if you build your own, its will probably be fairly easy to make it so it lacks the wet/dry part. probably the best feature of a sump is that it increases volume w/o impacting surface area, at least not that much.

I dought the chromis would get along w/ the damsals, and for a tang its way too small: they need at least a 55 (even thats a stretch) and ideal a 75 or greater. the chromis and damsals are usualy happiest in groups of 4 or more. so just to be safe, a school of chromis or damsals and a goby would probably make a very good tank.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.31(Sat)0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

29g is way to small for any tangs. I would go with a pair of tommatos because I had one that was hardy big guy and would even let me hand feed it flakes. for a gobie I would go for a redhead because the one I had followed me around when I went to look in the tank and would I could hand feed it with a pipette. chromis are always a nice addition to any tank. the rule of thumb for saltwater is 1inch per 5 gallons for novices and 1 inch per 3 gallons for the experienced. hope you find this info helpful.
SLACkra
2 winged demons
Avalanche
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.31(Sat)16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I got it figured out.. I'm gona put together a 11gal sump from an extra tank that I have around. For a skimmer I have been looking at a Seaclone 150 (please tell me if they aren't any good). Then I have a 75 watt heater that will go in the sump. Still figuring out a good combination for fis though.. Wink
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.31(Sat)18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good. I don't think that seaclone is bad so much as there is better out there; the same is true of the prizm and skilter. are you going to use it in sump or HOT? 75 watts seems too low so you may want a bigger one or another one of equal size.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: