Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Thinking salt water
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaM dA MaN
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.29(Thu)9:13    Post subject: Thinking salt water Reply with quote

Ahhh yes, back again.
Well it seems that after going through a 'I can't be bothered anymore' phase I have returned once again.
And I've decided to go salt.
I previously specialized in plants so I know close nothing about salt water tanks. I'm not going to ramble on with questions about how to start a new salt water tank for begginers because I know there are lots of other threads on this.
But I do have one question.
I have a Eheim 2324 profesional heated canister filter that I was previously planning on using for my new 250 litre planted tank.
IT was just after purchasing it that I decided to go marine. On the website where I bought this filter from (here) it says that this filter is for fresh water only.
Why?
Did I just buy this kick @$$ (rather expensive) filter for no reason.
Why is it that this filter must be destined to filter the turd of freshwater only.
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.29(Thu)18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

because of the heater.

however, live rock, sand and maby a protein skimmer or algae scrubber are usualy enough for most systems.
SaM dA MaN
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.29(Thu)18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it.
Wouldnt I need to use a heater anyway?
How can having the heater installed in the filter render it only usable for fresh water?
I guess I could just not plug in the heater Although it seems an awful waste.
Oh and it would also be very convient if I was able to use the canister because I would be able to use it to pump the water through the protien skimmer, right?

thanks
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.29(Thu)23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I have wondered that too. you may want to email eheim.

as far as using it has the pump, I realy don't know, plus I don't know what good skimmers are availble in austrlia Confused its probably almost the same as here in the states?

some skimmers require a venturi to function so it may be hard to retro that into the tubing. but it just depends on the desinge.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.10(Tue)5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contact the company on that, there are a lot of ehimes out there that are on sw tanks so I don't see a problem using your filter either. You would want powerheads also especially if you go reef different corals need different water flows so make sure there are different currents going in the tank.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: