Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting decicions.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaM dA MaN
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.29(Thu)20:02    Post subject: Lighting decicions. Reply with quote

I always find it hard to explain my problem as clear as possible but here we go.
I just got off the phone from my local light shop. They have 2 x 55 watt pc kits, which I was thinking of buying 2 of for my future ~250 litre setup. The only problem is that they only have them in 3000, 4000 and 5000 kelvins. I don't know if I will be having corals since it is my first salt water setup. This would give me just over 3 wpg which I know would be considered low light for a reef tank. Any way the guy who I talked to said that pc lights wouldnt be able to penetrate the tank which would have a depth of 18" and that metal halides would be the way to go.
Do you think hes right? Are pc lights too weak for corals.
On the other hand, would this setup be OK without corals, just fish and live rock/sand if I could get some higher kelvin rating globes, maybe around 10 000k?
Pc lights are substaintly cheaper so I would like to go with them.

Confused.
Thanks.
Metz
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.29(Thu)20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

power compacts are fine for a reef tank, and if you want to keep just live rock then the 5000k bulbs are fine. if you want corals you are going to have to get some higher kelvein degree bulbs (idealy you want 2 10,000k bolbs and 2 true actinic(blue bulbs). you can get these from almost any online supplier. power compacts would work fine on a tank that is 18 inches deep, and with the reccomended bulb combination, you should be able to keep any and all soft corals (mushrooms, polyps, xenia, leathers,) and maybe some LPS(large polyped stony corals) as well, like open brains, candy cane, frogspawn, hammer, etc...
ReefJones
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.01.29(Thu)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Metz. You also have to remember, that if you are going to be useing live rock, you can stack it many different ways to get different levels for different corals that require stronger light in a deeper tank.
Reef
SaM dA MaN
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.30(Fri)7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just thought of that, I mean its not like the light actually needs to travel 18 inches, with substrate, live rock etc.
I think I will save myself some money and go with the pc lights, now just gotta get some 10 000k bulbs. hmmm
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.10(Tue)6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

If thats what you can go with for lighting then do as metz mentiond and check up on your corals before buying. I ran 3 watts per gall for over a year and a half (pc lighting), mushrooms and leathers I have kept have done well. This year a blue atinic has been added so it gives me aout 5 watts per gallon but there has been much luck with those species, also a xenia was added and had doubled in size. Those types of corals I would reccomend also. You do have a much larger range with vho or mh lighting, but also can get into touchier or harder to keep corals.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: