Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
calcium
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvr16
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.28(Wed)21:38    Post subject: calcium Reply with quote

is there something I can add to the water to naturally boost the calcium such as crushed coral, dolomite, or something else. after mixing the salt and water together I get a very very low level of calcium usually below 300 I was just wondering if there was something I could add to my water storage tank to boost it up a lot to say around 400 or 450 ppm its getting too expensive to add liquid calcium to my storage tank because it takes soo much to boost it up a little bit
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.30(Fri)19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultamitly, suplments are the all round best way to do it. aragonite or crushed coral will help but IMO, they arnt nearly effective enough for most systmes by them selfs. you may want to check your salt mix to see if it has enough calcium and check the accuary of your kit. if its FO, FOWLR, or even predomintly soft coral, than they can usualy get away w/ lower levels, although it still seems like a very good idea to aim for above 400 mg/l, espcialy if you want good coraline algae growth.

FWIW long term, a calcium reactor may be an investment that pays for it self. however, they can easily get into the hundereds of dollers for the initail investment.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.02.02(Mon)6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the tank?

Have you tried kalkwasser? The mixing and dosing is a bit tricky but if you want steady calcium its the way to go.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: