Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
calcium in my aquarium and algae question
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvr16
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.28(Wed)19:45    Post subject: calcium in my aquarium and algae question Reply with quote

OK I fianlly got the calcium to a good level of about 450 ppm. day later after running my protein skimmer all night long I had about 300 ppm how do I keep the calcium in the tank at a good level. and is it the skimmer pulling it out. if it is how do I fix this. also would adding carbon pull out the trace elements that I add? someone please help

oooh another problem. been noticing little maroon looking algae on my rocks its really fluffy kinda loooks like cotton candy is this cynobacteria

currently have 45lbs fiji live rock and 7 hermit crabs in a 40 gallon breeder tank with 180 watts of light
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.10(Tue)21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skimmers really are not know to pull out calciium and use of carbon doesn't really do much damage either. How fast did you dose your calcium? Dosing to much to fast can affect your pH and/ or alkalinity, test those to and see if there good.

It sounds like you do have cyano. How olds your lighting? Are the crabs the only thing in the tank? Is there enouch water flow? cyano develops in low current areas. Have you checked nitrates, phosphates, or silicates? They will all add to feed cyano.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: