Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
omg!!!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zero0
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.28(Wed)19:10    Post subject: omg!!! Reply with quote

alright everything was fine fish were happy, hermit crabs too, and my anemone.

o so I go snowboarding, and plowing, and I come back and my anemone is about the size of a dime my shrimp is hanging upside down barely moving and my clown fish is moving very irregularly

I have red slime. and put it in my tank to clear it up, it didn't so it repeat treatment, and I did. and after that it never cleared up and my fish are like dead

my pH is fine and I have way to figure out the ammonia or nitrites, and or nitrates. o and it a 30 gallon

help Laughing thanks
zero0
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.28(Wed)19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

should I do a water change? I was thinking maybe %75 and are there any instant water readouts liek ones you don't have to let sit for 20 minutes?
Agent Smith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.28(Wed)21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

give more info: exact water perameters (SP, pH, ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, and alkalinity would be a good start), equapment (skimmers, lights, filters), how long the inhabitants have been there. you may also want to find out if something like a power outage happend while you were gone?

most test kits are faster than 20 minutes but do yours any way. when you need new ones, I like the seachem line. salfrit is one of the best.

BTW, I'm an avid skiier. were do you board an' stuff?
zero0
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.01(Sun)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I do board I love it, sorry bought getting bak to you so late, I have 6 fish, all very small, a green scat, blue damsel, domino tetra, maroon clownfish, 1 goby which I am not exactly sure of and a mandarin fish, and a horshoe crab, skunk cleaner shrimp, and two hermit crabs. I have one fluorescnet bulb, and one metal malide bulb, I have had my tanl for 4-5 weeeks now, and I got rid of it by running some of the ornaments under hot water, which instanly cleared it up, but now its coming back again, and I even did a %80 water change, could it be because I have bleached coral??? because I read that they trap waste and it breeds in there porous spaces and before you know its outta contol, help!!
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.02(Mon)2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

first from what I believe it tank it takes about 5-6weeks to cycle a tank and you should slowly add fish once it has cycled. from the sounds like` you put everthing in there way to fast. also a mandarin gobie won't survive long is such a small tank that is not very old. how much live rock dose your tank have in it anyway? by red slime do you mean redslime algae? cause this is probably because of the whole adding your fish to fast thing that causes ammonia and nitrite levels to go up due to there not being enough bacteria. please get your ammonia nitrite and nitrate tested Exclamation
2 winged demons
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.02.02(Mon)5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Slime remover will spike your pH.

What is your pH reading now?
zero0
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.09(Mon)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have about 20 pounds of live rock, my pH is 8.2 and my nitrates I cannot test due to, I ran out of testing solutions whoch I am buying later today
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.10(Tue)11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA!!!
How old is your tank? Your water changes could be a major problem there also your doing 75 and 80%. You should never do over 25% more then that and you will actually recycle your tank. Also your letting your water sit for 20 minits, you should let it set for about 24 hours. Mixing fresh saltwater and putting it in your tank can burn fish and inverts. Also fresh mixed water contains ammonia you need to let it sit and it will dissapear. Also it should set with a powerhead or air stones to help circulate it.

For a 30 gallon your way overstocked actually. You should have only about 2 or 3 small fish in your tank. Dominos and maroons can get up to 6 inches a piece when full size. Horshoe crabs are not the best they will destroy a reef and they get huge. Plus they love eating worms and crabs they would make a meal of half your critters when it gets bigger. They can get up to 2 feet in length and need a good size tank with lots of sand to keep it properly. Your mandarine goby might last maby a few months they need at least 55 lbs of live rock or more thats been well established just to keep them fed. Most sold in the hobby end up starving to death they eat live foods, most do not accept frozen foods. Also if your tank is new thats not good for anenomes they should be added in a tank at least 6 months or more and need perfect water conditions. If you have cyano its a sign of bad water conditions usually. Also it will cover and suffocate corals and anenomes.

You need to stop adding things, doing water changes, get rid of a few fish and let your tank straighten out.

Get your test kits ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, pH, and alkalinity.

Your amm and nitrite need to be 0, nitrates 20 or less is reccomended, salinity 1.021-1.025, pH 8.2-8.4, and alk 9-12 dkh those are the best ranges for the parameters.

heres some reading please read

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/liverocksetup/a/aa081501.htm
AquaticEnterprises
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.15(Sun)12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have more problems there than you may think.

First of all, your tank is way too small for all those fish. The scat alone once full-grown will be too large for that tank. You need to seriously rethink your stocking. Most of the fish you have in there I wouldn't recommed for anything but advanced aquarists and mature tanks.

Second, your tank isn't cycled properly. Most tanks will develop different types of algae for certain time periods while they're breaking in. From the sounds of it, you're adding too many fish and dumping in too many chemicals to allow your tank to properly break in.

Take the living fish back to the fish store, get some more live rock, and allow your tank to cycle with that. Then come back and ask some questions about possible tank inhabitants.
AquaticEnterprises
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.15(Sun)12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a green scat, blue damsel, domino tetra, maroon clownfish, 1 goby which I am not exactly sure of and a mandarin fish, and a horshoe crab, skunk cleaner shrimp, and two hermit crabs

For reference:

1.Green scats grow to be a foot in length, and are truly brackish fish.
2. Blue damsels can be very territorial, especially in a tank that small.
3. domina damsels grow to be around 8" and are highly aggressive when they get larger (and even when smaller).
4. maroon clowns get to be around 6" and are about the most aggressive clown you can get.
5. the goby really depends on the species.
6. the madarin fish are carnivorous micropredators. They're considered for experts only. Approximately 100 lbs. of live rock PER FISH is normally recommended. Obviously you're rather new to this hobby, so I would stay away from them until you have more experience.
7. horseshot crabs can top a foot in size, and will topple live rock and displays in the tank.

Get yourself a good book, such as Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist and educate yourself before you kill more fish and become more of a detriment to the hobby.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: