Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How much is too much for a 30 gallon tank?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newyorkdoll
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.26(Mon)17:35    Post subject: How much is too much for a 30 gallon tank? Reply with quote

just got a 30 gallon tank for my two telescope eye goldies. they were cramped up in a 10 gallon together (I know, I know, I had some emergencies and I was unable to upgrade my tank when I should have) so since my birthday is soon, I figured I would treat myself to a new tank. so while I was looking a tthe 20 gallon tanks, I noticed that the 30 gallon tanks were only 10 dolars more, so I bought one of those.

and a new fish.... sorry I couldnt resist. he's a tiny telescope eye. he's about an inch long (not including his nice fantail) and the other two are about 4 inches not including his HUGE fantail, and 2 1/2 inches, again not including the fantail.

I have an undergravel filtration system running on one air pump, and a bubble wall running on a separate, smaller airpump, along with the regular filter (meant for a 30 gallon tank)

I was thinking about getting another filter to hang on the other side as well, but I havent yet. should I?

anyways, my real question is this:

I love my goldies, but they are HUGE, and stay mostly towards the bottom of my tank. I was just wondering if there was a suitable tank mate that I could get that would be a little more, shall I say, active. I'm not looking for anything big. maybe a smaller schooling fish that I could get a couple of. again, I don't want to overcrowd my tank.

any helpw ould be much appreicated, thanks. you can reach me on aim if you want, at ssouthsidesue. thanks again.!!!
PonDesigners
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.20(Fri)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldnt get another thing in that tank. The fish are probably not that active because there is no room to swim. The rule of thumb for pond fish, INCLUDING goldfish, is one inch of fish per 7 gallons of water. It gives them room to breath if you keep it that way.
rhymes_with_milk
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.09(Tue)0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I was an ignorant novice when I first bought my two fancy golds for a 5 gallon tank. Not a good idea, but they both were very happy (as far as I could tell) and lived for over a year without a disease. Then I got cocky and added a third (keep in mind that this is a 5 gallon tank), and within 3 days, they were all dead. So I suggest, now that I've learned my lesson, to get a biowheel (I have a Penguin and am more than pleased with it) to help with the high amnonia levels goldfish put out in their urine. If you do that, there really shouldn't be a problem with the three you have and a small (6-10) school of tetras or something like that to give a little color to your tank.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.11(Thu)7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhymes: How could they have lived happily for a year when their lifespan is 20+ years? Here's a pic of how big your goldfish could get with proper care (although this guy was bred specifically to develop this size regular goldies can get pretty darned close.

http://hometown.aol.com/_ht_a/kmam1/MyPond/GiantGoldfish.html

I understand you were a newbie at the time, but saying they lived for a year happily with no disease is pretty farfetched. Why do you think they died long before their prime?
ColinAnderson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.13(Sat)12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress, he did not say they lived their entire lives happily; he said they lived without disease for over a year before he added the third. Of course they could have lived happily for a year before they died; with no disease they probably did. I don't understand your argument. Confused

P.S. That is one GIANT goldfish! Wink

110 liter planted
Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim 2215 Canister
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: