Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 Gallon Fish only tank?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freshie
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.22(Thu)18:42    Post subject: 10 Gallon Fish only tank? Reply with quote

I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank that I want to turn into a saltwater tank. I never had a saltwater tank before, but was thinking of putting some live fiji rock, live sand, and two ocellaris clowns. Would this be a good setup? Is there anything else that I should do for the tank? Thanks!
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.24(Sat)7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

With it being your first tank such a small one can be done but really not reccomended for a beginner. They will fluctuate a lot more then a bigger tank. You will have to watch your parameters a lot closer and more often. Also for fish you might want to consider a small goby of some type. 10 gall is actually kind of small for 2 clowns. For saltwater a good beginner rule is 1 inch per 5 gallons, where after people get exp some go 1inch per 3 gallons.

You could check out some gobies but you could also put them with a shrimp, crab, feather duster, or maby a few snails.
Freshie
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.24(Sat)15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a type of small goby would be better to start with. Can you recommend any type of them? Perhaps a type that is more hardy and easy to care for. I also am not completely sure what kind of equipment I exactly need. So far I have a whisper power filter, and a very reliable heater that I use for my freshwater 10 gallon tank. I'm not sure if I need a protein skimmer, and would prefer not to get one because they are very expensive. Also would I need a powerhead? Thanks for the advice!
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.25(Sun)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 10 gallon tank, you'll need a skimmer. 10 gallon tanks just get too dirty too quickly otherwise.
If you think a Skimmer is "very expensive" then maybe you should rethink this project. Yes, a good one may cost a few bucks, but it'll save you plenty more over time.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.26(Mon)6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

well a not very expensive skimmer would be a prizm skimmer. I personally own one and recomend them. if your a begginer I would get one damsel as the inhabitant. They are extremely hardy considering they are a saltwater fish. you shouldn't need a powerhead if you got the wisper and a skimmer running. also if your a begginer its easier to start off with at least 30g or more. thats just my 2 cents.
SLACkra
2 winged demons
Freshie
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.26(Mon)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out prices of some Prizm Protein Skimmers and they are really not that expensive. Do you have any more suggestions on what I can do with a 10 gallon tank? Maybe different setups that I can put together. I also saw some small starfish, are those hard to take care of?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.10(Tue)5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go with some of the inverts I mentiond in a small tank like that. Also what kind of stars were you looking at? Some get quite large there are a few that stay small though but multiply like mad. Can you get the name of the star you checked out. Also some are reef safe some are not.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: