Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
55G reef
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.25(Sun)13:22    Post subject: 55G reef Reply with quote

I am going to be setting up a tank for somebody. I tried as hard as I could to convince her fresh water is the way to go because that
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.25(Sun)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does she know that you don't know anything about saltwater, or are you trying to keep her thinking that you do?

Saltwater is a breeze once it's well established, but those first few months can be a real pain. The trick is setting up the tank the right way from the very start so as to prevent the usual hassles that tend to come along in the beginning. Beginners don't know how to do that, though, and it sounds like you don't have the time to learn.

Once or twice a month just won't get it for a new tank. There are going to be problems, and they're going to need attention.
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.25(Sun)14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told her many times I don't know anything about it. But she won't listen.

P.S. I am not trying to earn her affection if that
Rmcm2424
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.27(Tue)14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this "she" know anything about saltwater tanks? I she willing to do some research? Is she willing to put in the time and effort to get it running? It can be done, she and you just need to do a lot of research before you begin.
10 gallon goldfish tank
2.5 gallon Betta tank
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.28(Wed)1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "She" is a freind of my moms and she has agreed to pay me and a freind to set it up for her so it looks like ill be working on it a lot more than I origanally mentiond.

PostPosted: 2004.01.30(Fri)18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhhhhh......okay Wink
like with any tank, you've got to let it cycle for a while. buy some live rock (1-1.5 pounds per gallon) and then let the tank cycle for about a month.(you don't have to buy all the live rock you'll need at once) after the tank has cycled, and you've done all the tests including salinity, you can start adding fish. I would start with damsels. my boyfriend just started his tank and he put in some four stripe damsels and green chromis. wait on things like coral until your tank is pretty stable and you've had it established for a while. as always, be sure to do your research before adding corals or other things you aren't sure about. good luck!! Very Happy
cailan
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.30(Fri)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

(that was me above) I forgot to mention turbo snails.

try the website www.maast.com. it's more of a local site around the san antonio/austin area for marine tanks but the people on the forum know their stuff!
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.02(Mon)18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Very Happy I have heard Damsels are highley aggresive is that true?
Rmcm2424
Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.02(Mon)23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are aggresive.
10 gallon goldfish tank
2.5 gallon Betta tank
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.10(Tue)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people do have tanks set up and have others take care of them. But its sad because they have no idea whats goin on in there own tanks. If set up right and well established its not difficult but they should understand theres a lot more going on then in a fresh water tank. What you need to do is try to get her to read some of the post. If shes going to do any maintence at all shes going to have to learn some things.

The best way to start out is with a fish only tank. Once you get the basics and a good idea of whats going on then move to corals. Corals are a little more delicate than fish.

Most tanks take about a month to cycle properly, this means adding no fish or inverts during this time. Places will tell you to use damsels to cycle but the best way is fishless, throw some shrimp like you get at the store in the tank, it does the same job. The ammonia and nitrite cycles are much stronger then fresh water and very few things will survive it. The ones that do can have long term physical damage from the cycle.

It takes about 6 months to be fully mature which you will battle several different types of alges, have fluctuations in the water parameters and such. But this is someting every tank will go through no matter what you do with it. No saltwater tank will work without patience. Also know your fish, corals, and inverts before buying.

!. full adult size (growing to the size of the tank is not true)
2. minimum size tank to keep it in
3. compatability and aggressiveness
4. some things need special feeding, lighting, current
5. most fish are listed as beginner, moderate, difficult, expert only
6. reef safe or not reef safe

Its best to research and find as much information before starting. Lack of info can cost a lot of money and you can loose a lot of fish. I have a list of beginner sites I list check them out and read them. Show them to your friend also.

Reef keeping 101
http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm

creating, maintaining, understanding reef aquariums
http://www.expat.or.id/info/aquarium.html

live rock
http://www.thereefweb.com/live_rock.htm

live sand
http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html

nitrogen cycle
http://www.epetpals.com/cycle.htm

common mistakes made by aquariust
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/liverocksetup/a/aa081501.htm