Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Want to get started, but poor. Is there a one stop shop?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T5Chris
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.23(Fri)8:34    Post subject: Want to get started, but poor. Is there a one stop shop? Reply with quote

Hi guys! every since I started reading this site, I've wanted to get started in a marine tank. It will be about 30 gallons, and would like to keep it as low of a strain on my budget as possible.

I've searched through about 10 different sites that offer the equipment I need, but there are so many models and brands and prices, I spent about 14 hours trying to compare them all without success. Even tried getting things cheaper on ebay.

Does anyone know a place that has the best, or very good pricing compared to others for equipment like:

Prizm Skimmer
Eheim Canisters/Filstar
Emperor Power Filter
Lighting
Heaters

I've checked aquarecon, marinedepot, petco, petsmart, ebay, aquaretail, drfostersmith, aquariumstuffers, aquatic-store, customaquatic, cheapcorals etc... If there is a more specialized place that I can order everything from to save on shipping, instead of going to different places, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Chris-

PS anyone know what the best substrate is for plants in Marine aquariums?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.24(Sat)6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is really a one stop shop. The best thing to tell you is keep looking you can get good deals if you run across from them. Also have you checked your lfs? A lot of times they will sell things for people or post used items for sale. The cheapest way would be to stay fish only. With corals you would start getting into expensive lighting where with a FO tank you can go with standarad lighting.

For cheap sand you can get Southdown from a Home Depot. It is a dry aragonite sand the same type as live sand but without the critters. Its super cheap. Then get a pound or 2 from a lfs or someone you know to seed it. Its a good idea to get a skimmer but if the funds are not there you can get away without one for a while but without one regular water changes would be a good idea.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: