Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My new baby... (revisited one year later...)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.18(Sun)16:12    Post subject: My new baby... (revisited one year later...) Reply with quote

For those who have known me for a while, they might remember that this is the very fish that I have wanted for so very long. I've finally aquired my first blue dempsey. Very Happy

From what I understand, they grow considerably smaller than normal JDs so he is going to live as the centerpiece fish in my 29g tank for the forseeable future. To make room in the 29g, I returned the 5 T.helleri to the store who ordered them for me. They gave me almost enough for the the helleri to cover the whopping $60 for the JD.

I hated to part with the helleri because I went through a lot to get them, but to be quite honest, these fish turned into a complete waste of tank space. They were wild caught, and six months later they would still smash themselves against glass/rocks/heaters in their desperate attempt to hide whenever I walked into the room.I tried everything, dithers, cover, etc...to get them to come out, but to no avail...

Last edited by Tommy on 2005.03.06(Sun)1:39; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ReefJones
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.01.18(Sun)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m not really big on larger cichlids, but I do say this with a immaculate record of heterosexuality.... Gorgeous!!!! Very Happy
Reef
Dan H.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.18(Sun)16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite a strange blue. Very nice though. I like the pattern of dots/splotches very much so.
Hamstersheep
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.18(Sun)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.... thats beautiful....

you'd think that was something 2la would have.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.18(Sun)17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breed 'em Tommy, breed 'em!!
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.18(Sun)17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyradia wrote:
Breed 'them Tommy, breed 'them!!

Ahhh, I wish I could! Marcos told me all about this some time ago, but if you breed two blues, you get some very low percentage of blue in the offspring. You apparently have to breed two "normal" JD's who carry the blue gene in order to get a true blue.

Hey, I just realized who I'm talking to! You are WAY better with this genetics stuff than I am Very Happy

Reason number two is that at $60 per fish I could only afford one. Wink
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.18(Sun)18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one Beautiful Fish!! Congrats on your new baby! ~Nancy~

p.s. Notice I'm using your Angelfish avatar? I like the way he turned out. Thanks! Wink
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.01.18(Sun)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy, one of my greatest pet peeves of this hobby is the inaccessibility of certain plant and fish species to certain segments of the population. As much as it delights me to look at the pictures of your beautiful fish, it makes me happier many times over that you FINALLY got the fish you've always wanted. ENJOY!! Very Happy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.18(Sun)21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you bred a blue fish to a normal JD? I imagine you'd get 100% plain fish, but then if you bred the plain fish either back to a parent, or to each other, you should have some blue babies, right?
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.18(Sun)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

bugzycat wrote:
p.s. Notice I'm using your Angelfish avatar? I like the way he turned out. Thanks!

I should be thanking you Nancy! I meant to PM you and ask what you thought, but I've been lagging...Glad you like it.

2la wrote:
Tommy, one of my greatest pet peeves of this hobby is the inaccessibility of certain plant and fish species to certain segments of the population. As much as it delights me to look at the pictures of your beautiful fish, it makes me happier many times over that you FINALLY got the fish you've always wanted. ENJOY!!

Thanks 2la, that means a lot to me. It's been a long time (maybe never) since I bought a fish that has raised my enjoyment level this much overnight.

Sherry wrote:
What if you bred a blue fish to a normal JD? I imagine you'd get 100% plain fish, but then if you bred the plain fish either back to a parent, or to each other, you should have some blue babies, right?

Yeah, something like that Shocked The problem is that I don't have the room in my apartment for a tank large enough to house a full size JD. Then there is the issue of not knowing the sex of my new blue. At this price there is no way I can get 4-6 of them and let them pair off.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: