Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
first tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.01.21(Wed)15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no patience, I'm sorry, but SW fishkeeping is NOT for you.

As said above, fishless cycling is the best way to go for saltwater.

Saltwater is much more advanced to the average keeper than freshwater; you must do your research, as you would for any freshwater fish, but twice as much and as frequently. Freshwater fish have usually been bred in captivity long enough that they can tolerate nitrate presence in the water; saltwater fish do not have this advantage in captivity, there simply has not been enough time out of the ocean for most, if not all, species.

As you said, you don't want to "hurt or kill" fish, which is what cycling will do, freshwater or not. Do yourself a favor, and READ several books before you decide on your stock. And do your fish a favor and get some patience. Their lives depend on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.21(Wed)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you need to learn is to have patience with a salt tank if you hurry it at all chances are someting will go wrong. Most damsels will survive but thats about the only fish. Clowns are not even as hardy with the cycle. Its hard to look at an empty tank for a month or so but in the long run its worth it.

Since your the impatient type look at this it may help you wait it out

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/liverocksetup/a/aa081501.htm
BelfiCat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.22(Thu)12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

fine, I'm sorry, point taken, people here do not like fish to be used for cycling. I think I'll just read up on it some more before I decide what to do for definate and until then thanks for all the people who have helped.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: