Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 gallon saltwater setup-is it OK?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brobro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)9:11    Post subject: 10 gallon saltwater setup-is it OK? Reply with quote

I am thinking of maybe setting up a small tank of like 10 gallons, and I was thinking of putting in a pecula clownfish, along with some other fish. I am open to suggestions.

here is what I am thinking of it to look like:

10 gallon tank
uv lighting
4-8 pounds of live rock
live sand
1-2 precula clownfish or Ocellaris Clownfish
maybe a firefish
lots of turbo snails
1-3 shrimp

I am a beginner to saltwater fish, so I've decided to avoid the coral, until a later time.

Jane
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want UV lighting. The blue lighting you see in reef tanks is just a differant color spectrum 7100K not UV. For a Fish only tank any lighting will do.

Are you planning on any type of filtration? IF you aren't I'd double that LR total and do weekly 10% water changes.

You don't really need lots of turbo snails. I'd say 5 in that tank. I had my 10 gallon reef tank going and more than 5 kept it too clean I had to supplement there feeding.

Ocellaris Clownfish get a little big for a 10 gallon. 2 Perculas would do fine. See if you can get mated pair. Little more $$ but they'll be happier. Clownfish are not very social fish.
Brobro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not planning for any filtration, so I guess this will be my new setup:

1-2 pecula clowns (try to get mating pair)
3-5 turbo snails
1-3 shrimp
maybe a firefish
6-10 pounds of live rock
live sand
20-30 watt lighting

Jane
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. If you put 30 watts on it you could probably add some zoanthid corals to your tank. There one of the hardier corals and if you have the right ones they look sweeeet!

How are you going to do the lighting? flourescant or power compacts?

If you want the lighting for corals now and want to do it pretty cheaply this isn't a bad little deal.

I know these poeple and there the best.

The formosa clamp-on 36W 50/50 is a great little light. It would give you a enough for Mushrooms and Zoanthid corals

http://www.drunkenboat.net/ReefEncounter/home.html

I'm not sure what your budget is but you can't beat there price's for lighting. I know your gonna finish the clown tank and go hmmm. A few small corals would be nice. I know I've been there Wink . I would have saved a lot more money if I didn't end up buying lighting then upgrading later. And as a plus you could probably keep a bubble tip anenome in there for them to hang-out in under that lighting.

If you want to get a little more serious with that tank down the road you can make or buy your own full hood and slap this badboy in it.

http://www.hellolights.com/185cfquadret.html

That's about as good as 10 gallon lighting gets without boiling your water or investing 500 bucks.

Don't mind me I'm rambling. Just trying to kill the last hour at work. Laughing

I've seen some Beautiful small (under 20 gallons) Clownfish tanks and they are sweet. Good luck with yours and keep us posted.
Pineapple House
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.08(Sat)12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly disagree with SoS.

1. Those 3 fish are overcrowding a 10 gallon tank, esspecially considering you're not having any real filtration on it. I would keep it to one fish, which would be a Percula Clownfish. If you plan to upgrade to a much larger tank size, you might be able to get away with 2 Percula Clowns. The firefish is a no.

2. The UV lighting is extremely high in UVV rays, and will eventually blind the fish in weeks or months with having UV lighting over the aquarium. It can also cause a multiple of skin diseases, and is a hazard to not only your fish, but to you.

3. I recommend you have a 2-4" livesand bed, and about 15lbs or more of liverock. This will be your biological filtration for the tank. I do recommend that you do 10% waterchanged weekly though.

Graham
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.08(Sat)13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've know people who have successfully kept 2 Percula's in a 7 gallon tank with a 2 inch sand bed and full of corals. Anything over 2 inches in a tank that size is a waste and it looks bad. Nothing you can fit in that tank will benefit from it. (unless you have inhabitants that dig, some crabs, some snails, a few of the gobies, rays etc...). In fact its never been proven that any sand bed over 2 inches in even the largest tanks has made a differance.

The key to any small saltwater tank(filtration or no filtration) is water changes with good water(RO/DI). Since he's not going to have any corals he'll have very little bioload. The sand bed, live rock, and good water changes will take care of any filtration needs that tank will have.

I agree with the no firefish but not for Bio-load reasons. The Perculas will probably beat him up and keep him from food. A small goby or scooter blenny would be a nice substitution.
Pineapple House
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.13(Thu)0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've know people who have successfully kept 2 Percula's in a 7 gallon tank with a 2 inch sand bed and full of corals.

I have also seen 3 4" Naso tangs in 29 gallon aquariums. Just because someone has kept something in such a small aquarium, does not mean it's okay to do so. If you were kept in a small space, you would live. But, would you live out your whole life being extremely happy?

Quote:
Since he's not going to have any corals he'll have very little bioload.

With or without corals, the bio load is going to be the same. Corals produce such little, if any bio load that it doesn't matter to your aquarium. Just because someone isn't housing any corals doesn't mean they should start overstocking with fish.

Quote:
The key to any small saltwater tank(filtration or no filtration) is water changes with good water(RO/DI).

I find your statement to be completely false. First, if you had no filtration, your tank would not be any sucess. Biological, Chemical, and Mechanicle filtration all comes into this matter. Second, many sucessful nano hobbiests do not do regular water changes on their nano aquarium. Water changes is not the key to keeping a healthy aquarium. I know this is a bit off topic, but I have never, exept for two times, done a water change on my 80 gallon. The 80 gallon has been running for long over a year, with only 2 water changes in early April. I'd say the key to keeping nano aquariums is a small biological load, peaceful inhabitants, and a mature aquarium.

Quote:
I agree with the no firefish but not for Bio-load reasons. The Perculas will probably beat him up and keep him from food. A small goby or scooter blenny would be a nice substitution.

Here we go again. Just because someone does not have corals, does not mean that you can start heavily stocking the tank full of fish. Corals do not produce, if any, bio load for the tank. It makes no difference if he had corals or not. I am also not only looking at this at the bio load perspective, but also the growth rate. Seriously, the clowns and the other fish will grow to enourmous sizes, most easily outgrowing such a small aquarium. The tank should be stocked with one or two small fish, that only grow to an inch or so, not with fish that might grow over 5 inches long.

Peace,
Graham
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: