Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sri Lankan and 30 planted
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ophie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.05(Wed)22:39    Post subject: Sri Lankan and 30 planted Reply with quote

These are both fairly new tanks.

This is my little five gallon Sri Lankan biotope. Things are slow-growing in there, but hopefully one day the crypts will take over. That's the whole point.
I'm still learning how to photograph it.

And, this is my 30 breeder, planted. Sorry the picture is bad. You get the idea. Probably doesn't look much different than the last time I posted it months ago. But the hairgrass is growing in, and I've rearranged stuff. It's gotten CF lights. Still no CO2-- that's why changes are so slow.

Inhabitants:
rasbora pauciperforata (red-line rasbora)
pseudosphromenus? dayi (spike-tailed paradise fish)
checkered barbs (don't remember the scientific)
otos
japonica shrimp
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

While scientific names are good, they're not THAT important (except for cichlids)
Checkered Barb - puntius oligolepis
Oto - Otocinclus affinis normally

I like your tanks, grrreat jooob.

First picture (image sorry) is very dramatic with all the different angles of the driftwood, mixes it up a bit. Is that algae on the wood going top left to bottome right and on the left? If it is, I got that as well.

The second image is jealousy creating hehehe. Like the Anubius and small leaved plants on right, promotes contrast. Howd you get that tree stump at the back?
Brobro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

ophie, you have some really amazing tanks! I enjoy looking at your tanks and will enjoy and following posts you make.

Jane

Last edited by Brobro on 2003.03.07(Fri)14:14; edited 1 time in total
Glrob
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone! I've been working away! Wow it feels like ages!! Ophie did you get my PM. Beautifull Tanks! There's a Picture of my Botia Sidthimunki (Chain Loach) on my Avatar. Allways active and very cute!!

Glrob.
ophie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the compliments!

Glrob--yes I just responded to your PM. Great avvie. The 30 above is the tank in which I want to keep the sidthimunki.

Quote:
Is that algae on the wood going top left to bottome right and on the left?
Howd you get that tree stump at the back?

1. Yeah. The wood's from aquariumdriftwood.com-- it's the stuff I was talking to you about in your own photo thread, I think. Nice stuff, I think. I like it, anyway. No one eats it, but it's not very insidious.

2. The 30 breeder has a very deep (front to back) footprint. The stump at the back is just that-- a stumpy looking driftwood put at the back of a tank with 18" front-to-back to spare. I just set it there before I put the gravel in; it's not part of a background or anything. It's also from aquariumdriftwood.com.

And you're right about scientific names; as long as they're used consistently (like the checkered barb and otos), they're fine. But for the different tetras, for instance, or cories, or some rasboras, I like to use them for clarity.
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.07(Fri)3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And you're right about scientific names; as long as they're used consistently (like the checkered barb and otos), they're fine. But for the different tetras, for instance, or cories, or some rasboras, I like to use them for clarity.

Yes I agree
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.07(Fri)13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

yet again, you make us all envious with your aquascaping talents Smile . always enjoy looking at your pics, they bring real inspiration to me.
thanks for sharing Wink
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: