Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help with Ich
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat P

PostPosted: 2003.03.05(Wed)21:29    Post subject: Help with Ich Reply with quote

I have been having a lot of trouble with Ich lately.

Every time I add any Tang, It breaks out in Ich within days. I have lost 3 as a result. The last one was quarrantined at my LFS for 10 days prior to adding it to my tank.

I acclimate them properly, my Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels are fine (0, 0 and 5ppm respectively). I even added a ground to my tank on a LFS suggestion. pH is 8.2, there's plenty of food, stable temperature and there aren't any aggressive fish in the tank.

I'm stumped! I've lost a Powder Blue (Ich sensitive, I know), an Atlantic Blue and a Naso.

any ideas?

Tank Specs:

75gallon
95lb Live Rock
10gallon DSB refugium
Protien Skimmer
1 Flame Hawk (pretty docile)
1 Fire Fish
One sleeper goby
one Salt water cat
one serpent star
one emerald crab
Several corals - mushrooms, Xenia, Acropora, Bubble Coral, polyps
one cleaner goby
blue leg and orange leg hermits
turbo snails

Thanks,

Pat P
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try soaking there food in pure garlic extract. That cured my ick problem.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.13(Thu)7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow tangs and kole tangs are good beginner fish for your first tang. I add garlic to the food about once every 2 weeks also tangs need a good balanced diet with lots of greens this will help against ick and hole in head disease. with a poor diet chances of these diseases will increase.
love2watch
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.20(Thu)8:42    Post subject: love2watch Reply with quote

Hi Pat p sorry to hear about the ich problem your having. I recently purchased a regal tang that did well in a fairly aggressive tank and then he got what appeared to be ich, still not sure though after doing a 25% water change most of it went away. I did some research and found a good first step is a freshwater dip for 1-3 mins. good luck
spkspk

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)20:50    Post subject: my two cents Reply with quote

I gather that once ich is introduced into a tank, it is forever present, especially if you have intertebrates, which prevents the use of copper-based solutions. With that in mind, I have found that the best 'cure' for ich is to keep the fish healthy. The greatest risk is when you have introduced new fish to the tank, since their resistance to disease is down. I have two tangs now (Kohl and Hippo) that eat very, very well. On my first attempt with a Kohl Tang, it did not eat and it succumbed to ich before too long and died. I have a fire shrimp that the Hippo Tang visits regularly. I also have two cleaner shrimp, but no one seems to be requiring their services. Good luck with it all.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.30(Sun)5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

ick can be in every tank even though you never had it. it lays dormant in the substrate and can start if fish are stressed, water conditions become changed, or if a fish becomes weak or sick, or if a new fish is introduced. since copper can't be used with inverts another alternative can be short term hyposalinity salt water ick does not do well in lower salinity waters. there is actually a difference between fresh water ick and saltwater ick. also a fresh water dip can make the ick jump off a fish

fish dieseases
http://www.aqualink.com/disease/sdisease.html#ich

hypo salinity faqs
http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wetwebmedia.com%2Fmartrthyposalfaqs.htm

using ost or hyposalinity
http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa102797g.htm
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.30(Sun)18:07    Post subject: cleaner shrimp Reply with quote

if you can I would add a few cleaner shrimp. in a group they will choose a spot and make it there cleaning station. just like a carwash the fish come in and get cleaned. not sure if its the most effective way but it willl help. also if your tank conditions are good then a cleaner wrasse would be a nice addition. though I am not sure that all your fish are shrimp friendly.
2 winged demons
The Old Salt

PostPosted: 2003.03.31(Mon)23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT get a cleaner wrasse!
*sigh* Don't get me started...

10 days of quarantine is NOT going to do ONE bit of good. It takes 23 days for Ick to go through it's cycle, so therefore it takes 24 days to get the job done, and then only if you're actively working on the problem.

Hyposalinity is not an option with inverts. Dipping is all very nice BEFORE the ickies get into the tank, but now it would be useless.

Garlic really does work fairly well for situations like this one where it's already too late to do things the right way, so if I were you, that's what I'd use. I'd also get an Ultraviolet Sterilizer and crank it up!

The word Tang of course comes from the greek, and it means "Ick Magnet." Heheh, not really, but it might as well. If you're going to insist on buying tangs, then you should know that you are going to have problems.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: