Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
sbould I turn the lights off at night
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waunder
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.04(Sun)18:13    Post subject: sbould I turn the lights off at night Reply with quote

do I need to leave the lights on at night ,,does this not help the growth of algee
firebob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.04(Sun)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run the light about 12 hours a day depending on if it's planted or not. Fish need to rest just like we do. Now I have seen some "moon linght's" but I odn't think there needed.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.04(Sun)22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen a planted salt water tank. What kinds of plants live in salt water? Besides seaweed of course.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.05(Mon)9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light: turn off @ night. You can put it on an automatic timer. That is always a good way to go.

Planted salt: While rare I do know of one.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2810752&uid=1473668&members=1
This is Tom Barr's tank (PlantBrain).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.21(Wed)9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes turn off your light at night. There is an entire living system that depends on the light and dark. Most fish rest at night, corals have different cycles some actually feed at night, and theres tons of saltwater critters that come out at night that you don't see during the day. Especially if you have good established live rock.

Huntress
you would be surprised the amount of plants that can live in saltwater. I myself have had lots of them grow. I never added any they popped off the live rock, a lot of them have cycles but a few stick around.

check out my tank you can see some of the plants I've had, the halmedia seems like its one to stay. Its actually a good plant and usually hard to keep but mine grows like crazy

http://groups.msn.com/karlas/tankpics.msnw
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: