Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
water loss into the air
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waunder
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.04(Sun)13:49    Post subject: water loss into the air Reply with quote

I just got a new tank for xmas,,and the evaperation is about 4 liters every 3 days in a 10 gal tank,,,this is causeing my window to freeze up in the cold weather
firebob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.04(Sun)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a hood on you 10 gal.?
If so are there larg spaces for the evaperating air to seep out of?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.05(Mon)9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing you can do is put plastic in front of the window. If you window is freezing on the inside, I would also worry about that cold air drifting on to the tank. Most hardware stores carry the shrinkwrap like platic you tape in front of the window the blow dry to make tight. This is good for creating a buffer area for the cold. I acutally like the evaptoration rate on tanks. It helps keep the house moist during the winter. In a salt tank this might be more of an issue. If it make you feel better I lose about 5gallons a week in my 75. Imagine that on your windows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rustarific
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.06(Tue)23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you purchase a hinged glass top with a backstrip. This will greatly reduce water loss through evaporation, keep the tank temperature more stable, and provide warm moist air between the water surface and glass top for any fish that take in air like bettas or cories.
rustarific
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.08(Thu)6:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Thought this was E&Q for freshwater. Embarassed Sorry about that Irons. Thanks for pointing it out. Very Happy On that note, we do have a SW tank in the house with a glass top and it does prevent any significant evaporation. Only time we have to add water to the tank is during water changes.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.21(Sat)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, Irons, I lose about 5g a week on my 35 hex, now thats a lot for a tiny bit of surface area...

Definitly put something over the top to prevent evaporations...or move the whole tank away from your window, that should allow the moisture to disapate into the room and house before fogging the window and freezing.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.10(Wed)4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small tanks are known for more evaporation. I have a 20gall q tank set up and I add more water to that then the 75 gallon in a week. Get a full hood that should help with that a little. Also with the evaproation in small tanks this is what helps cause fluctuations in water parameters.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: