Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
a bit of a pickle story about kois....
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m3ltdown
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.01(Thu)17:34    Post subject: a bit of a pickle story about kois.... Reply with quote

Well my uncle has a pond would say 6/7 feet deep and he has loads of kois and around 12 goldfish hes had the pound about 5 years and one day he woke up looked in his filert to clean it out and they was 15 lil babies kois swimming in his filert the mom must hav gone into the filert then layed the eggs but my uncle says they are mossed kois like a goldfish had sex with koi I have 3 in one of 15 gallon tank they still a lil small but turning black all over Smile
Sasha
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.01(Thu)18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using better spelling and grammar next time, I had to read that three times before I fully understood what you were trying to say.

Koi should have around 1000 gallons per adult fish, and from the sound of your uncles pond, it's ridiculously overstocked.

You shouldn't have 3 of these koi or goldfish in a 15 gallon tank. A koi should never, ever be kept in a tank. It's cruel and they get stressed and need ample swimming room.
And goldfish should have a minimum of 10 to 20 gallons per fish.

Chances are if the fish are turning black all over, they're suffer from ammonia burns from the inadequate tank size, or from lack of filtration, or from a cycling tank, or a nasty combination of the previous three.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.01(Thu)18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand most of it, but I'm going to try anyways. Please use the preview button to check your spelling and grammer due to the fact that we have many non native english speakers here and it's very difficult to understand what you are trying to say. Plus, you'll get better help that way.

6-76 feet deep doesn't say how big the pond actually is. It could be any size, but if it's 6-7 feel long then there is a bit of a problem if it's not also 15-20 feet wide.

3 in a 15g is way too small and you may have early stunting. They may be OK for a month or two until you have somewhere to go, but I would find a better place for them asap.

The babies probably ended up in the filter after they were born not before. They were probably trying to swim away from the bigger predetors.
m3ltdown
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.02(Fri)7:44    Post subject: o soz about spelling Reply with quote

I am dislexic that's why my spelling is really bad they are in 1 of my 15 galllon tank's because they only about a month old.

also should I bye a big like bin for them say 30-40 gallon and put them in there then give them to someone I kown around the back of me when very get bigger ??

and last thing could I put a betta wiv white cloud mountion minnows
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.01.02(Fri)10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a hint. Type your posts in a word program, edit for spelling, and THEN post it.

I'd try to help you, but frankly, I'm not going to bother to decipher your posts. I'd have better luck with the Rosetta Stone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.02(Fri)13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even speak the words out loud to see how they go in a sentence. I have plenty of friends who are dyslexic and every single one of them has no trouble spelling or making themselves understood in the written form, so using that is a poor excuse.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.04(Sun)10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! You don't know how old the person your talking to, if they are young and still learning then spelling would be a big issue for them to overcome, so I wouldnt say that it is a poor excuse, it is just one that isnt going to be accepted here.

About the fish turning all black, I had the same thing happen with my koi/goldfish/whatever mix was possible from that. It seems rather normal that when this occurs it is just a mixture of genes that produces a black fish.
chris78corvette
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.13(Tue)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most mixes I have seen like that turn back gold after they get around 4-5 inches Smile don't know why really , but I have a fantail in my tank that used to have black fins and a little black mustache over his mouth , but alas he is solid gold now and very plain .

My friend has the same condition and he has to read "proper english sentencing structure" at least 3 times to understand what it said , stop trashing people for grammer. lol , its aquahobbies not englishmajorhobbies Smile
armymedic
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.12(Thu)12:37    Post subject: Spelling? Reply with quote

I agree with Huntress and Taratron. If you cut and paste what you want to say from Word or other program, you can use the spell checker and the grammar checker. I think that one might miss out on good advice if the people reading can't understand what the problem being posed is. I have been an english tutor for ESL children, adults, university students and pretty much anyone else who needed help. The ideas that are being presented are good, but they just need to be organized so the rest of us can understand.

About the tank, I've seen plenty of fish that turned colours after they were born. The fish turning black might be a problem with ammonia, or it could just be the genetics of the fish. That doesn't change the fact that a 15 gal tank is going to be too small for a koi (much less 3) and would also become too small for goldfish in the near future.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: