Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
tap water
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.26(Fri)18:09    Post subject: tap water Reply with quote

can I use tap water for water changes or do I have to use ro ro distilled is there a way to filter tap to use it? thanks
Tetralover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.26(Fri)18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use tap water and use Prime water conditioner which takes out the Chloramine. You need to find out how your water is treated if it is public water. Only some of the water conditioners that claim to take out chorine will also take out choramine. I would also test your pH level after sitting water out for 24 hours with aeration, mine was very, very high and I had to make adjustments for my fish (this task can be difficult and not recommended for beginners or people whom have never attempted it). I'm lucky my pH stays the same after adjustment so I don't have to worry about buffers.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.30(Tue)10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get away with tap water but do some test on it first. A lot of times tap water contains the stuff you try to get rid of. For example my tap water has nitrates off the chart, chlorine, phosphates and everything else I wouldnt use it. But I have another souce of tap water that contains no phosphates or nitrates and that is where I get my water from. If you have to use your tap water and it contains the ugly stuff best bet is to get a ro/di unit to purify it then it would be usable for the tank.
firebob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.04(Sun)18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use tap water, but I run my water the night before and let it sit out. I add my chemicals and drop in a heater so the temp is the same as the tank. That way you can test it and try to fix some of the problems with the water; pH and chlorine and there
icp
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.19(Fri)2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in las vegas and use tap....

suposed to have nuclear waist in the water hear
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: