Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My 66G tank~
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenL
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)15:59    Post subject: My 66G tank~ Reply with quote

This is my 66G tank...photo taken with a Canon powershot S230...the quality is not too good since my hands was shaking... Embarassed

Fish: 5 Congos (2M, 3F), 10+ cardinal tetras (waiting to add 10 more), 6 cherry barbs, 4 lemon tetras, 2 SAEs, 4 oto cats, 3 peperr cories

Plants: Jave fern and moss, anbias nana and barteri (spelling), bolbitus fern, val grass

Lighting is two 40W daylight bulbs and no fertilization

Filtration: Fluval 304 and Hagen 301 powerhead

p.s. Hey Tula, if you read this post...you notice I finally got a background now? But the old aquascaping is gone.... Wink
Brobro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a nice tank. I wish I had a tank like that.

Jane
ophie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about your tank is very calming. I think it's that it is not fully planted, so it has open space, but it is still aquascaped, so the elements are very aesthetically pleasing. Good effect with the vals. Your bolbitis fern looks really healthy too-- wish mine did! Without the vals, you'd have quite an african stream going, I bet (except that only one of your species of fish comes from africa.. I was just saying...). Wink

The 66 looks like a good footprint. What are the dimensions?

If you don't fertilize, what is your substrate? Looks like bits o walnut. Is it amended with anything?[/b]
StevenL
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

ophie wrote:
Something about your tank is very calming. I think it's that it is not fully planted, so it has open space, but it is still aquascaped, so the elements are very aesthetically pleasing. Good effect with the vals. Your bolbitis fern looks really healthy too-- wish mine did! Without the vals, you'd have quite an african stream going, I bet (except that only one of your species of fish comes from africa.. I was just saying...). Wink

The 66 looks like a good footprint. What are the dimensions?

If you don't fertilize, what is your substrate? Looks like bits o walnut. Is it amended with anything?[/b]

Thanks for the compliments~ Smile
LOL the "African stream" is just an coincidence...I never tried to create a biotope or a tank with a regional theme...I just put together whatever is nice looking~ hehe
The dimensions, IIRC, should be 48"X16"X20"...I upgraded from a 48G, which I think is totally lack of depth~!

The substrate is just plain gravel. Thank god the Vals are growing crazy even without any fertilzer...the lighting is pretty weak too...I just put the lighting on top of the plant intensed area and quite luckily this method works out for me~ IMO the advantage of this method is avoiding excessive algae.
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tank looks nice, I am surprised that the lighting works, I have 2 20w bulbs for my 29 gallon which I plan on planting very soon. well hope it works for you.
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urm 40 watts on 66 gallons doesn't make very strong light. Doesn't the bolbitis fern need high light requirements?

I think the less light the vallis gets the slower it grows and the better. I have Vallisneria gigantia and its massive.

Beautiful tank. Just needs a planted backround to fill it in a little.
StevenL
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.07(Fri)2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

PharCyde wrote:
Urm 40 watts on 66 gallons doesn't make very strong light. Doesn't the bolbitis fern need high light requirements?

I think the less light the vallis gets the slower it grows and the better. I have Vallisneria gigantia and its massive.

Beautiful tank. Just needs a planted backround to fill it in a little.

The light is actually two 40W bulbs, so I have 80W...I try to keep my lighting weaker to avoid excessive algae...
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.07(Fri)3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry mis-interpreted the information.

The development of algae normally comes around due to a surplus of a certain nutrient, or lack of certain nutrients, or too many nutrients (which in turn is supplemented by light).
jino .

PostPosted: 2003.03.07(Fri)15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice looking tank, I tried to something similar to that, but need more plants. I really like your selection of plants and rocks.
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.08(Sat)7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I havn't said anything on this post yet. I just wish to congrtulate you on creating such a simple, yet lush aquascape. you have inspired me, because it looks easy enough to clean with open spaces. due to recent problems( Confused )with life, I believe I need to create an easy to clean setup. I really like your tank, very relaxing Smile
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: