Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nano-Anomone/Clownfish Setup?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishFreakoNature
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)14:48    Post subject: Nano-Anomone/Clownfish Setup? Reply with quote

OK......I just know someone will flame me for this, but I wish to attempt a 5 gallon Anemone/Clownfish setup. Don't kill me! I am an experienced hobbyist and have successfully kept most corals. The sight of a Clownfish snuggled in his host Anemone has always entranced me.......Now I wish to set one of those up on my not-so-roomy desktop. Here are the plans:
Lighting: CustomSeaLife 15in 2 x 32watt ABS Hood (includes Actinic and Ultra Daylight)
Skimming: RedSea Prism Skimmer (Rated for tanks up to 90 gallons)
Livestock: (Open for discussion)
6 Blue Leg Hermits
1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Flame Scallop
1 Bubble Tip Anemone
1 Maroon Clownfish (ooh, people are REALLY goin' to flame for this one.....)

Wait! You probably hate me, right? Well, just bear with me....... I am aware that the Maroon Clown will grow big-I am prepared for that! I picked the Maroon because they are almost guranteed to take BTA's, the easiest Anemone to keep. The Clown will be purchased at 3/4 of an inch, and will be captive-bred. Waterchanges will be 50% 2 times weekly. (Each of my tanks gets 6 gallons of water "alotted" to it once a week.) The tank will have excellant circulation, light, and water quality, so, please forgive me! When the Clown grows too big, I'll simply pop him into my 75 gallon fish-only tank and buy a new one for my desktop. The Anemone should also do very well, and will be a captive "clone". I will feed it with silversides once weekly. The tank will have live rock and sand of the best quality. So, would this setup work for the anemone? I know it will for the clown. Oh, yeah, If you still feel the urge to flame, you can, but I feel this environment is perfect for these creatures!
--Michael
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have already made the decition. So go for it. Very Happy
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's your plan there's no Flames here. Looks good. I don't think 2 maroons would fare too well in a 75 gallon they'd probably not be too happy with each other. So you'll probably have to find a new home for that second one when he grows up.
Pineapple House
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.04(Tue)22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really were as experienced as you say you are, you would know to stay away from keeping that Flame Scallop (just know I'm not trying to flame you or anything). Do you know how difficult these are to sucessfully keep alive? I would say around 99% of them die within the first couple of months of being purchased, if not sooner. Many are not collected properly and are seriously damaged when you get them. I say next to 0% actually survive.

They also tend to be reclusive, prefering to stay in crevices or under rocks with just their tentacles being out in the open. Many people try to remove them to more veiwable positions, but this usually results in damage to the byssal gland that sectretes the threads they use to attach themselves to rocks, resulting in stress and damage to the scallop.

These are also filter feeders which will need a lot of food. This means that you tank will foul quickly if you don't have a very good filtration system on it. Lack of food is probably the #1 cause of death. They tend to feed on very small phytoplankton and zooplankton, which are not readily availible at your LFS (DT's live phytoplankton and seawater zooplankton is often used, as well as Golden Pearls). It's posible to culture the foods such as phytoplankton, zooplankton, rotifers, and copepods, but doing so would need time and money. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/iss...2002/toonen.htm has a good article on feeding.

I would also re-think the Maroon. I know you're planning to upgrade to a larger aquarium as it gets larger, but many do best in larger sized aquariums. They will need a lot of room to swim, which cannot be acheived in such a small water volume. I would personally get a Captive Raised Percula Clownfish. These are the most readily availible, cheap, hardy, does well in smaller sized aquariums, and also will take to the Bubble Tip.

Also, why not buy a 10 gallon tank instead? Keep in mind the if the bubble tip anemones do grow and thrive, they'll easily outgrow that size of an aquarium. I've seen 25 gallon aquariums who had to upgrade to a 55 gallon aquarium because their Condylactus got too big. Bio load is another thing to consider with such a small aquarium, although I can see that isn't a big problem, considering the amount of Water changes and skimming you're going to do, which brings me to another point. In nanos, the water quality can change rapidly, and frequintly. I personally wouldn't be doing 50% water changes 2x weekly, that's just asking for trouble. Instead, I would do 10-20% water changes Max, every week.

Live rock and Livesand should help with some of the filtration, so I don't think you would need to worry avout changing out the complete water volume every week, that's an overload.

Also, I don't recommend feeding the BTA just silver sides. Feed a varried diet, consisting of Krill, Squid, Shrimp, Silver Sides, Lance fish, etc. Do the 'trial and error' way when feeding. See what foods it accepts, and which foods it doesn't. Food that is exepted will be moved towards its central mouth area, and then digested. Foods which it doesn't exept will not stick to the tentacles, the anemone will ignore it, or the food will drift away with the current. Don't feed anymore of the foods that it doesn't exept.

Last thing- I would really make sure that that tank is mature. I would wait 6-7 months before adding that anemone, to ensure survival.

Remember, I wasn't trying to flame you, only trying to give you some friendly opinions Smile

Graham
FishFreakoNature
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.05(Wed)13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.......I thought of all of those situations but the waterchanges. I always thought bigger was better! The scallop has been in my possesion for 3 years now, surviving in the FO. I got him when I knew nothing about marine tanks, and he has amazingly thrived! The reason for the move is I plan on buying a parrotfish, and don't want him eaten! All livesand and liverock will be taken from my 55 gallon reef, so is already mature. I will take your suggestion and feed a variety to the BTA. If I am successful with the anemone, there is always room in the 55. The reason I wanted this nano is because I spend many stressful hours at work and a CF/A setup is so gorgeous it'd cheer me up! Smile
--Michael
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.05(Wed)18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishFreakofNature wrote:
The reason I wanted this nano is because I spend many stressful hours at work and a CF/A setup is so gorgeous it'd cheer me up! Smile
--Michael

I know what you mean Micheal...

I just wanted to comment on that flame scallop. I've never heard of one surviving more than 3 months in captivity. I would be extremely careful when removing it from its rock. I might actually just take the rock that the scallop is attached to, and put it in the Nano. If you attempt to be moving it, do it extremely slow and gentle.

Graham
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: