Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Xenia...I just bought xenia
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.10(Wed)1:48    Post subject: Xenia...I just bought xenia Reply with quote

WHOoo hoo.. I Just bought xenia. THese things are so pretty. It was 20 bucks for a stem. CHeap? or I got rip off. anyone has xenia?? please share your experience. SO far I place mine in a nice current and direct halo lights. It pumps nicely. SO if anyone own xenia.. please share your experience about propagation and such. Thank you...
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.11(Thu)13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone knows what xenia looks like when they are dead? how long does it take them to start pumping in tank? mine started pumping nice the first night but now they open.. not very big and no more pumping motion.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.16(Tue)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its dead its probably shriveling up. I got a frag of one it seems pretty easy to take care of. I know mine had doubled in size since I got it, it only took maby a day for it to pulse. Did you try moving it around? How much current do you have it in? They like a hi light and medium waterflow. Also is this the same tank you are having alge problems in? Water quality can affect them also or alge growing on them.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.12.18(Thu)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a pic of Healthy Xenia. I grew all of these from a single stalk. They like a wave movement and medium flow.

Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.22(Mon)1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is some beautiful xenia you have there. My Xenia is alrite now. I switched tank from the nano cube to the 29 gallon tank. I found out why the xenia didn't like my other tank. Too much wave. though my 29 gallon tank doesn't have power compact but I could control the wave and stuff. so it is multiplying and being very very happy under 2 50/50 florescent, and very little to absolute no wave. I bought one stock, and now the stock had multiply into 2 stocks. I love xenia. thank you for your input
Ana
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.05(Mon)20:07    Post subject: Fragile? Reply with quote

I had a beautiful Xenia. It thrived and multiplied. A month ago I had a major incident in the tank. For reasons completely vague to me (although I guess either a rapid change in salinity or a change in temperature) killed all of my Xenia completely along iwth all my snails. The fish were fine, the brain coral and other corals were OK. The only things that died were my shrimp, my snails and my Xenia. Weird -- water tested normal chemically. Any idea on cause anyone? Be careful with the Xenia.
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.13(Tue)20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that xenia can die off after awhile. THey said it was sumthing about its age. but I don't know.
awalter121
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.24(Sat)19:39    Post subject: pulsing xenia Reply with quote

Usually if the xenia has too much water flow it won't pulse. These grow and spread very quickly!!!!! Very nice touch to a sw tank though!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: