Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
TO: Old Salt
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.05(Fri)2:52    Post subject: TO: Old Salt Reply with quote

hi , I've read one of the old message and I found one that talked about feather duster and its sperm. I would like to know once it releases its sperm will it land somewhere and give life to other worm? how does the creating more worm process works?? and lastly, when does the feather duster gives off sperm? is there a specific amount of trace element needed? or something else? Thank you
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.25(Thu)0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, featherdusters are very easy to mass-produce.

All you have to do is get a few adult sized worms in healthy condition, and put them in a bowl of tankwater. ( This works better if you feed them very well for about a month beforehand ) Ordinarily, these worms take a natural cue to start spawning in large groups, but there is a way to cheat. Poke the worms from their rear ends. Have a friend help you, since timing is important.
When annoyed in this fashion, featherdusters will shoot out eggs and sperm in an attempt to distract their attackers. Soon you will have a milky mess in the bowl. Wait two minutes and pour the contents into a tank with no mechanical filters, Like just a few airstones going, and the newly fertilized embryos will settle all over the place. In a few weeks you'll see little baby worms all over the tank. A tank with live sand and live rock will work well, so long as the rock doesn't have any filter feeders on it waiting to eat the larval worms.

Make sure your worms have lots of calcium and trace elements, and feed them well. In just a few months they'll be big enough to move to your other tanks.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: