Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
First tank setup??? Need some advice..
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solidsolo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.01(Mon)20:00    Post subject: First tank setup??? Need some advice.. Reply with quote

OK, I got a 30 gallon tank and I already have had it setup for about a week now... So far I have about 15 lbs of rock and the substrate is crushed coral... I have the emperor 400 filter and already have two Blue Damsels thrown in there for the cycling period... So far its been going great and the Damsels are doing there thing....
This week I'm getting a Actinic lighting fixture so I can have some live rocks and maybe 1 or two anemones and in about 4 weeks I'm getting two clown's...one Yellow Tang...one Royal Gramma...1 skunk shrimp...maybe a blue starfish (depending on how big it gets..also..the Damsels are coming out when the other fish come in due to their aggression) I may want some more invertabrates but I'm not sure on what would be the best start and which fish would get along together......
Anyone have suggestions? Does this setup sound OK? thanks for your input.. Very Happy
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.03(Wed)9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing--> Lose the Tang. A 30 gallon is too small for a tang by itself, let alone with all that other stuff.
Next, get some books on the subject and read them before going any further. It'll save you a ton of hassle.
Next, don't just get actinic, get 50/50 actinic white. This will give you a tank which is bright and cheery while still providing the blue your liverock critters need.
Next, forget the anemones. Period.
They're a lot more trouble than they are worth, very demanding, very hard to keep alive in a new tank, and they slime up the whole system. If you're one of those people who saw "Finding Nemo" and thought a clown/anemone setup would be just the thing, then think again. We may never be able to assess just how much damage that movie did. Even worse, clownfish only like certain types of anemones, and some of them are already becoming endangered species thanks to the hobby. Sad to say, but we killed a bunch of 'em before figuring out how to keep them.
Luckily, clowns get along just fine without anemones. I used to work on a clownfish farm, and we hardly had any anemones around at all. That didn't stop us from churning out 20000 clowns a month, though.

Once your tank is fully mature and stable, in say, a year, you might have a better shot at it. You'll know a lot more by then, too.

Your filtration needs some work. Get a skimmer. Prizm is a good one.
Even better would be one of those algae filters, but right now they're very expensive, so you're better off starting with a skimmer.
Solidsolo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.03(Wed)17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply...Finding Nemo was a great movie and I do know that a lot of the concepts were wrong in the movie..I'm a college student and have taken a couple marine biology classes and have also been to a reef on the coast of Mexico where I went scuba diving..It was the greatest thing..

So in a way I've always wanted a saltwater aquarium but never started one til now..

I do think you are right about the Yellow Tang...I know that many of the Tangs need a lot of swimming space and I didn't realize that until I did some research.. I do want this tank to be a reef tank more that a fish tank...Ill just have 3 fish and some invertabrates...

I am gonna decide to tackle the anemones along with a few other corals not for the clowns but for the excitement and the way it looks.. I've already started a lot of reading on the care of certain corals and I'm looking forward to it.. Anyone else have any suggestions on any other types of fish or invertabrates??? thanks for your input.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.03(Wed)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in Florida, and you're a diver?
Dude, you have it made.

Anyway, if you really want anemones, then I have a suggestion:
Flower anemones from Florida.

These critters are sort of like anemones, and sort of like corals. They have lots of color and pizzazz, and like corals, the reason is zooxanthellae. They still need to be fed a bit, but the lighting will go a very long way toward keeping them healthy. You just about can't go wrong with those guys. I love 'em.
Solidsolo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.03(Wed)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, I'm not a "diver" but I've done it a couple times... I don't know if anyone else has seen an actual coral reef but its the most amazing thing to see.. As I was swimming around the schools of fish, I was surprised how they were not scared at all of me and the school of fish would simply move right around me not even bothered...

I also bumped into fire reef and it was pretty wicked... My should flared up and I had red spots all over... It burned really bad so I guess thats why they named it "fire reef" Anyway..its an experience of a lifetime..

Ya I know a shop that has a lot of those Florida anemones your talking about.. they are fairly easy to take care of so Ill just start with a couple of those.. thanks for your help..
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.16(Tue)9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait on the anemomes though no matter what kind you are looking at. They need a mature aquarium first you should wait till your tanks about a year old or so before tackling them. As far as corals there are good beginner corals out there even them give your tank a few months to age. A new tank goes through different types of phases especially of different alges. You want these alges out of the way since most can cover and suffocate corals.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: