Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can you breed them?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.11.30(Sun)17:45    Post subject: Can you breed them? Reply with quote

How do I get the goldfish to breed in a house fist and how do you tell if a goldfish is male or female, I'm asking because my friend wants to breed hers but she wants to know how to and all the steps she should take Question
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.01(Mon)23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, how big are her goldfish? They should be at least 5 inches(though they can breed, at least the males can, at 2-3 inches)

7 inches plus is best.

Is she really prepared? Goldfish can produce far more eggs than most aquarium fish...several hundred eggs in one spawning. Particularly large spawns may end up at about 1000. The babies require phenomenal amounts of room early, unlike most other baby fish(Xtra large tanks in order!). They require infusoria for the first couple weeks of life, then BBS.....hatched live to feed hundreds of little mouths.

Whats more, then you have to cull them(no way to raise several hundred goldfish to adulthood). This mean to humanely destroy the ones that are deformed or do not match the strain(and the ones you have been feeding the BBS too!). Therefore, because goldfish strains are already difficult to maintain, breeding two different strains together is not recommended.....as the traits seldom blend as one wishes.

Even for a strain as simple as a basic fantail or lionhead, only 1 in every 50 fish is of good quality and matches the strain. For more exotic ones like veiltails, try 1 in 1000.

What will you do with them all? Goldfish(except large and/or show quality ones) do not fetch large prices to pay for your effort. Should you breed commons, congrats, you gotten a bunch of 10 cent feeders the hard way!

Take this to your friend to chew on....if she is still interested, go ahead and ask whatever questions she may have.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.02(Tue)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how do you tell if a goldfish is male or female

I'm sure there must be a way of telling from the vent of the space between their vent and something else but I have no idea! I sexed mine from the breeding tubericles that the males get when they are feeling frisky every year. They look like small white bumps on the gill cover, very similiar to ich in appearance actually.
Dorey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.02(Tue)13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well their common goldfish and she has a big pond out side a she was wondering if she could breed them so she could have some in her pond.
Her mom heard that they will adapted to any environment and she has them in a fish bole and their small because they have a small home so can she breed them she only has two right now Question
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.02(Tue)14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

If her pond is deep enough, 3 feet or so, the easiest way to breed them is to put them outside early in spring when it begins to work up. Goldfish usually spawn seaonsonally, and it's triggered by temp changes in the water and the longer days.
So the easiest thing to do is leave them outdoors all year around, and have lots of plants like elodea in the pond to provide food and shelter for some of the fry.
If your winters are very harsh, or the pond isn't adequately filtered, that won't be an option.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.02(Tue)22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish are ravenous egg eaters, so you would probably raise either none or very few unless your pond has dense plant cover like elodea, parrots feather and the like. I had mine spawn all this summer, and the result was no babies.

Its certainly worth a try if your pond matches SherryNe's post....heck, they'll like it much better then the bowl!

With 2 goldfish, you've got a 1/2 a chance for male and female. If they are traditional ten cent feeder size, it will take at least 1-2 years before they decide to spawn(this is the rate in a pond with no supplemental feeding though). Mine waited till 3 years to spawn at almost seven inches in length.(perhaps they rewarded me for feeding them!)
Dorey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.03(Wed)15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I think their 3 years old, but I'm not sure.
Dorey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.26(Fri)10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you tell whitch is a female or male?
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.27(Sat)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google search for 'sexing goldfish'-

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=sexing+goldfish
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.29(Mon)1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is a better idea. Go out and buy 10 feeders and drop them all in the pond. If the pond is 3 feet or deeper, and filterd then the fish will breed on their own. I have a very large pond and our goldfish were breeding the first season they were out there. Only a few babies survivied the parents hunger but none made the winter. Now we have big koi and they havn't bred because we have only had them for a few months (pond was enlarged, better filtration and planted etc. I'll let you know if they spawn. That way you have natural culling and I gaurentee you will have babies soon enough.
55g Community
75g. Reef tank (cycling)
135g. Needlenose gar, tiretrack eel tank
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: