Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Actinic lighting help
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solidsolo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.29(Sat)8:49    Post subject: Actinic lighting help Reply with quote

Hello, new to the forums..
-I just recently set up a new 30 gallon marine tank and so far have very little in it because I'm assuming it needs to cycle for a few weeks... Anyway I have crushed live coral as the substrate and have several live coral rocks on the bottom. Also to get the tank "broken in" I bought 2 blue damsels that'll be in there for a few weeks until I get other stuff. I want this tank to have also some live plants and some small coral pieces but I understand that I need a Actinic light. My question is...What type of actinic do I purchase? and what wattage? Also my tank (rectangle size) is 30" across the top and I so far havent been able to find any actinics of that size. Anyone have any suggestions? thanks
Joanna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.11.29(Sat)13:58    Post subject: actinic light Reply with quote

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavResults.cfm?Ne=40000&N=2004+113030

Try this link for actinic light fixtures they have quite a few selections and different lighting options. PM me for more links if you like. Very Happy

Solidsolo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.29(Sat)23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link Joanna. I have a question though and please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are two main different types of actinics and those are blue and white.. Whats the difference from the two and what would suit my needs the best?
Joanna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.11.30(Sun)13:33    Post subject: help Reply with quote

Those are great questions, I don't know too much about lighting yet, I would suggest asking Irons. Maybe PM him or he might read this. Sorry I can't help more. Smile I found another link that you can look at to answer your questions. Hope it has the info you need.

http://www.aquarium-lighting-guide.com/

Last edited by Joanna on 2003.11.30(Sun)21:45; edited 1 time in total
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.04(Thu)11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actinic lights are the blue ones. Blue light penetrates the water better and this is the light that most corals and algae use to grow. The "white" light is mostly for presentation purposes so it looks good to you. Some corals seem to "Glow" under actinic lighting only, but you'll want some "white" light on it for normal viewing pleasure.

I say "white" light because it is actually many different color spectrums and not truely white.

I'm not sure how big your tank is. Is it 30" across, but very deep? On a reef most people suggest about 3-6 watts per gallon depending on the type of corals you want to keep. Most SPS corals require very bright light from Metal Halide lamps. Many soft corals can get by with much less light. My tank has mostly soft corals in it and I'm using NO (normal output) florescents. (My tank came this way when I purchased it. When I can afford to upgrade I will use VHO's)

While not knowing exactly the gallon size of your tank and what will be living in your tank a quick suggestion would be to look at either VHO (Very High Output) floresents or PC (Power Compact) Florescents. A PC Bulb can be purchased as what they call 50/50, part actinic, part "white" or VHO's can be installed one Actinic, one "White".
Solidsolo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.05(Fri)12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I bought a new fixture that will replace my regulare flourescent one.. It's a 50/50 flourescent and actinic.. More specifically....an Actinic blue 03 (50%) and a 10,000K (50%).. To answer your question Wsinbad..its a 30 gallon tank that is 30" across and roughly 16" deep. I believe this light will be exactly what I need for some soft coral and a few live rocks..

I also love the way it looks.. the water has a flourescent blue tint now and it looks really good. I also have a couple blue damsels in there to help the cycling period and it also brings out more color from them.. They are a very shiny blue and they look really great..

One thing I'm alittle concerned about but I think its normal, is I'm getting a very fine brown algae on the substrate and on some of the rocks.. I talked to a professional about it and he says its normal and it will eventually fade away.. Its something a new cycling tank will get. Anyone else have any suggestions? Smile
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.05(Fri)21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you got some good lighting for your tank. Aside from it being good enough for your corals the next most important thing is that you like how it looks.

Yes, the diatom algae is normal for a cycling tank.

Good luck with your new tank. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: