Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how do I propegate coral and stuff??
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.26(Wed)3:07    Post subject: how do I propegate coral and stuff?? Reply with quote

most people on this forum talk about fishes but I am interested in coral now. How do I propegate Flower pot? I already have one and I want to propegate it.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.01(Mon)7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had your flower pot? They are a very difficult species and most do not survive in the aquarium. If you get 6 months out of them you would be lucky most people loose them by then if not before. For corals small frags are cut off and attached to seperate pieces of rock for propogation. It would be better to try this with an easier and hardier species like mushrooms, leathers, or polyps for a beginner.
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.02(Tue)1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

my flower pot is about 3 months and going strong...it is so beautitful that is why I want to propagate them. and hope to get more than one pot. heheh
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.02(Tue)3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before going and buying more give this one a chance it can look beartiful for the firs couple months then all of a sudden start receding polyps on the rock pretty soon it dissapears. But make sure before purchasing more you only had it 3 months like I said very few people have success with them.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.02(Tue)3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darthvadersmom, I can't help but suspect sometimes that you are just a troll out to have some fun. I mean, really now, you always seem to say just the wrong thing.

Assuming that your tank has that rare and special combination of factors which allow for continued Goniopora survival and growth, you should know that this species gets quite large. Propagating it with a table saw should work just as well for it as it works for other species of similar shape, but that's really not a good idea. Flowerpots like their water a bit dirty, but this makes them prone to deadly infection when fragged; the very conditions which keep them alive can kill them! Assuming you were successful, your tank would get pretty overcrowded in a hurry, but then again, just one can take over a huge area if you let it.
At any rate, wait about 2 years before you go trying to propagate them. You'll probably find that your coral won't survive very much longer anyway, but if it lasts that long then your tank is one that just may ensure your success.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.03(Wed)8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, by the way, if you really want to learn about farming coral, then go to Amazon.com and get this book:

BOOK OF CORAL PROPAGATION
by Anthony Calfo.

450 pages of the really juicy stuff that every reefer needs to know.
Volume one is the one I mention, but volume two should be out very soon if it isn't already.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: