Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Moving a Marine Tank.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie146
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.02(Thu)8:10    Post subject: Moving a Marine Tank. Reply with quote

Hi There,

I would appreciate some advice on the following issue. Firstly I am new to marine fishkeeping and have wanted to setup a tank for a long time but due to work commitments have been unable to.
Now that I am settled and can take on the responsibility of a saltwater tank I have been on the market for a new tank.

I have just purchased a 200gal along with all of it's contents. I know this might sound excessive for a newbie but it was going for a bargain price and from what I understand the larger the tank the more stable the environment.

The 200 gal tank is too heavy to move so I have bought a 150gal to use instead. My question is: is there anything crucial I must do when moving the contents of the tank?. There are appr. 20 fish, a load of live rock and coral substrate which I need to move to the new tank .

What should I clean the 150gal tank with(it was previously used for freshwater goldfish)?

How much of the water in the present tank should I take to the new tank?

Any advice would be much appreciated...

TIA, Jamie.
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been on the board for a while so you've probably already moved your tank. I also just purchased a 180 gallon tank filled with reef inhabitants. I will be moving it around Christmas time. I have therefore been getting lots of advice on how to move a tank. The most important seem to be:

1) Move it as quickly as possible. I.e. Tear down, move, and set up in 1 day if possible. Many people I have talked to say they start at 7:00 am and finish at 3:00 am next day, but DO IT!!! (if possible.)

2) Move at least 50% of the water. Then it will be as if you made a 50% water change.

3) Make sure the corals and fish are in containers with water movement, (Powerheads) and Warmth (heater) while out of their home.

If you haven't moved your tank yet I hope this helps. In any case I would be very interested in hearing about your experience doing this as I will soon be doing it myself.
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.04(Thu)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a follow-up...

I moved my tank Thanksgiving weekend. Very Happy I did just as mentioned in my above post. I moved it in one day and it only took from 8:00 am to 11:30 p.m. of course I spent the next 3 days adjusting rock and such in the tank, but don't we all do that all the time anyway?

Everything moved great!!! I may loose 1 finger leather, but everything else looks great. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: