Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Quarantine Tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsab
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.27(Thu)10:52    Post subject: Quarantine Tank Reply with quote

Is a 12gal tank OK for quaratine purposes? Should I withdraw the water from my display tank along with a piece of live rock or two? Do most people leave their quarantine tanks set up all the time or just until the display tank is fully stocked? I will be setting up my display tank in the next couple of weeks with the first addition being the live rock which I plan to allow 8 weeks
for "curing" and cycling (actual time based on test results). Any advice and pointers will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Syd Johnson
MotoHead
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.27(Thu)20:32    Post subject: qt Reply with quote

I think the general idea is that any tank will do.I do not have one myself but I have heard a few things such as no rock or anything in there.just a few pieces of pvc pipe for hidey holes and a bare bottom.no rocks or plants as they may harbor sickness I think.also I think you would want to start new water in it as soon as possible.I think quarantine means a completely sanitary environment and you may drag sickness from your main tank to it.I could be wrong on that point tho.anyway this is what I have heard about qt.also you may try joining this other forum,this one seems to be dead most of the time and takes a while to get answers.....

http://wetwebfotos.com/talk/forum.jsp?forum=2&start=0
GrendelPrime76
Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.29(Sat)19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my 10 gal isolation tank that has been up and running for some time now and I have a few pieces of l/r in there, some people do and some don't use l/r in there iso/hospital tanks, and again some people use tank water and some make up new water I did a 50/50 half new and half from my established tank
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.01(Mon)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 20 gall q tank set up I have some sand in it but other than that its pretty much bare. Its best to quarenteen a fish for at least 2 weeks minimum before adding to the main tank.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.12.03(Wed)9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live rock in the quarantine tank is a complete waste for many reasons, but the main one is that any medicine used will kill the rock anyway.
Come to think of it, going to all the trouble to establish biofiltration is also a waste of time, because the the tank should be sterilized and restarted between uses, and antibiotics used in quarantine will kill the bacteria.

Of course, this is assuming that you discover the fish need treatment. Here's a hint- they all do. Quarantine is not a time for just sitting around for a few weeks. That won't accomplish anything.

A 12 gallon tank will be okay for smaller fishes. For bigger fish, don't spend the money on a glass aquarium. Just go to WalMArt and get one of those clear plastic storage bins from the housewares section. They hold water just fine, and are cheap. You can even hook filters to them just like you would an aquarium.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: