Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
UNHEATED TANK-- What fish can take the cold?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnybrook
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.18(Tue)10:20    Post subject: UNHEATED TANK-- What fish can take the cold? Reply with quote

I'm stocking a 55 gallon unheated tank. My outlets are over-loaded and my husband won't buy another gizmo to plug in for the tank! Wink

I would like to hear possibilities about what other fish I can put in the tank. Currently there are four fancy guppies and a red-tail shark. The guppies are optional, but the shark is a keeper.

Are these fish comfortable in water falling to 66 degrees? Or have they simply adapted to cooler temperatures? I see the guppies hanging in a group near the top.

I'm sure the shark isn't considered cold water, but he is very active and has a great appetite. Are there other fish we normally heat that probably would do okay?

My personal favorites in fish are blood parrots because of their eager attention at the glass. I raised miniature dachshunds and possibly I'm spoiled, but I like my pets to greet me!

I would like something with interesting interaction with me, or something else! Are there any schooling fish that would work?

Thanks for all comments.
scott2336
Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.18(Tue)10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to be the one to tell you this, but 66 F is quite low for what are, essentially, tropical fish. Can't you get your husband to buy you one last gadget? After all, a heater in a tropical tank is one of the most important pieces of equipment and the guppies and shark would thank you for it.

Other than that, and with the cooler water, a good shoaling fish for your tank would be the 'White Cloud Mountain Minnow'. These fish, in a large shoal, would look stunning. They do show interesting colours also.

The parrot fish would definitely need a heater, these fish like temperatures from the high seventies to low thirties (F). Although they do show a lot of character/personality (which is what you're after, right?) I'm sure a heater would need to be provided if you were to keep them in good health.

Other fish which may do well in lower temperatures include: some of the barbs (e.g. Rosy Barbs), some of the smaller danios (e.g. Zebra Danios) and possibly some of the smaller loaches. These fish, among others, can survive in lower temperatures but do (preferably) like it a little warmer.

HTH
Scott
sunnybrook
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.18(Tue)10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm aware tropical fish are usually warmer than household temperatures that fluctuate from 66 to 86 degrees. But some fish do adapt and I'm curious what other folks here on the board would suggest.

I don't plan to keep parrots in this tank--just giving an idea of what I like in a fish.

I do have three other tanks. (My parrot fish are nice and warm.)

The husband has reached his limit. I have to make do with what I have left: the outlets are already maxed out with power-strips and I can't safely add more.
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.11.18(Tue)12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just turn up the heat a bit in the winter? Confused

The common paradise do well in colder tanks (I believe their life span is shortened by higher temperatures). But honestly, I think as long as the species is hardy, they will do just fine. After all fish are hardier than we give them credit for. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sunnybrook
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.18(Tue)13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a paradise! I would love to get to know that fish. True...the temp usually is warmer in my house, but there are some cold mornings that makes the water in my fantail goldfish tank really feel cold.

I'll bet you are right about fish handling more than we think they can. Its like that with birds. We are told not to locate their cage next to a window for fear of drafts and yet look at what they endure in the wild. Rainy, blustery days and nights with little chance for foraging.

I would think some of the waters where our tropical fish come from would have seasons of cooler weather. Especially after nightfall.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to research the paradise now.
mlody
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.11.18(Tue)13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think that a heat is a very important peice of equipment... Sometimes more important then a filter in a PLANTED tank. Rolling Eyes With that said... Hillstream loaches are fish found in cool river streams in Hong Kong; they can even be housed in ponds outside Shocked . ( As long as its not too cold!) White Mountain Minows ae OK and I beleive that Bettas live in rivers also, but I don't think they would be able to stand 66 F.
haftaski
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.11.18(Tue)15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish do well in colder tempereatures.

So do Pike - if you are into Ice Fishing. Very Happy
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.11.18(Tue)15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dojo or weather loaches
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.11.24(Mon)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many fish are more cold tolerant than we give them credit for. However, this tolerance for some means surviving.

I'd reccomend paradise fish...wait, I'd highly reccomend paradise fish. Perfect critters for coldwater tanks. Though heathly feeder guppies are tough as nails, I doubt the fancies will live. The paradise fish would probably eat them, though.

Their are tons more coldwater fish, just that any are unavailable because no one is interested in them(and many arent ugly ducklings, either!).
Michelle56
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.27(Thu)10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfish can survive the cold.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: