Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Advice needed on 3 tier Aquarium stand
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.05(Fri)12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue for me when I was designing my tank dimensions for my 55 and 75's in my fish rooms was heigth. You need enough space between the top of the tank and the bottom of the next shelf such that you can work in the tank, do water changes, and have lighting. It was very difficult to get this needed number of inches, times three, to be a reasonable heigth. At 5'10" I don't want a tank that's bottom starts any higher than 5' because I want to be able to see the bottom of the tank for the fish activies and be able to feed without getting a ladder.

Also, if you're not on teh ground floor on a concrete slab...consider weight VERY carefully. By stacking, you're making a gigantic weight on only a very little space.
Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.06(Thu)16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the sams 4 foot shelves in my fish room and have 4 20,s and 2 15s on the whole stand thus 8 tanks in an 8 foot run I will try to do a photo for you stands are 90 dols do not use the wheels ! Rolling Eyes
ggenz
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.10(Thu)20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Home Depot has a 5 shelf unit that is rated for over 800 lbs per shelf
brianD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just build it out of 4x4 and 2x4 pressurized wood. I know your thinking wood, its not strong enough, build it right and it will be. after all think of everything "around your house" thats a piece of wood
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed a couple of stands at Sam's for $60 and $109, smaller is a gorilla stand that has 18" deep shelves, the larger had 24" shelves, Weight limit was high, maybe 1300 for the larger one. Adjustable shelves, fiberboard shelving could be waterproofed.
DrEmmerich
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a machine/welding shop and would suggest getting a custom shelf made of steel. Find a local machine/welding shop and they could easily make it to your exact specs, and it would be incredibly strong. No fear at all of it breaking on you and being made of steel it won't be harmed by water if a quick coat of paint is thrown on. It may cost you a bit but it would be worth it when you consider how much losing your tanks and fish might be due to the shelf failing.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: