Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Advice needed on 3 tier Aquarium stand
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.15(Sat)14:49    Post subject: Advice needed on 3 tier Aquarium stand Reply with quote

Can anyone advise me on having a 3 tier stand for 4ft tanks. I already have 2 tanks and now I plan to get another. Space is limited so the only option is to buy or build a stand that will carry 3 tanks.

Is this safe if constructed with metal weilded together? or will it tip over with the weight? I may fix it to the wall for added support. Will all the weight be to much for a stand. The floor is concreate so that isn't a problem.

Does any one know where I can buy a 3 teir stand or is this a DIY only option?

This must be possible as the LFS's have them to display their fish.

Any help or info will be most welcome, thanks. Confused
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.11.15(Sat)14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into gettting metal stand that bolts together. Something that rated for the wieght you want to put on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sam
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.16(Sun)18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Irons for your reply. I liked your fish tank pictures! on your site. Some nice tanks there. I have looked every where on the net for 3 teir stands but nothing but double ones. I guess I'll have to get one made for me, which may prove to be difficult. Thanks again. Smile
IBrakeForFish
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.22(Mon)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not ask at the LFS? They could tell you where they got theirs, or maybe even order one for you! Good luck with your stand search.
arobin2080
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.03(Wed)21:08    Post subject: Tanks stands Reply with quote

I'm doing the samething. I found nice strong wire shelving for $99 at Container Store. It comes with 4 shelves. They hold 300-500lbs.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.03(Wed)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your tanks total volume and multiple by 8. that's just water. Add gravel, glass, and equipment. My one 75 weights at LEAST 1000lbs.

Last edited by Irons on 2004.03.05(Fri)11:36; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
firebob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.04(Thu)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the shelves I have seen are 300 a shelf or 500 total weight.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.04(Thu)21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt trust something like wire shelving that is only rated at 300-500lbs, my 35g tank weighs over 300lbs, now you are talking about something that is 4ft in length and then 3 of them, that is going to be a rediculous amount of weight and will definitly exceed 500lbs with water weight, and don't forget that the bigger the tanks get the heavier they get as well. I would agree with Irons in not trusting that wire stand, way way to risky if you ask me.

If I were you I would look at some of the bigger research companies/devisions of these aquarium companies such as marineland, they seem to have standalone systems with multiple teirs built in, or you could hire someone to build a stand which will meet your specs.
firebob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.04(Thu)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol are we talking a restraint wire shelf? If so not with that munch weight. I
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.03.05(Fri)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably want something like an Industrial Steel Shelve.

http://www.keysan.com/big/picstnn2646.html
This is what I was thinking of. These as far as I've found and support up to 750lbs per shelf and are height adjustable.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: