Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Poor fantail
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JC
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.11(Tue)2:38    Post subject: Poor fantail Reply with quote

I have been keepign goldfish for nearly 2 years now. Up until recently I didn't' know too much about their space requirements so they have been living in a 10 gallon tank, but I am moving them to a 27 gallon at the end of the week. Right now I have 2 aqua clear mini running on their tank, I try to leave the temp at room temperature, I also use a mixture of aquarium salt of 1 tbsp per 10 gallon of water and I do not use carbon filtration.
Up until 3 weeks ago, I only did one water change a week. Then I got a baby peruvian apple snail that rapidly ate all but one of my plant and in an attempt to compensate for the accumulating nitrates, I proceeded to do too many water changes for what my fish were used to. Now it looks like one of them has come down with some kind of fin rot. It's mainly a separation of the fins and there is no discoloration or rotting happening, but there are some blood spots showing on the caudal fin. I tried increasing the temp at first and treating with melafix but when the blood showed up, I decided it was time for medication and so far one treatment hasn't been too effective. I am now on a course of a different type of antibiotics and am hoping to hear some additional suggestions that could possibly help me save my fish before this infection becomes more drastic. Thanks.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.11.11(Tue)8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which antibiotics are you using now? Keep that water very, very clean for now.
JC
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.11(Tue)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did one course of maracyn, seemingly to no effect. Did a 33% water change, rinsed 2 of the sponges, now I'm on the second day of maracyn2. I took out all the sponges this morning and just letting the water circulating with no filtration.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.11.12(Wed)3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt blood spots in the fins the result of excessive water changes causing too much dissolved gases in the blood?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.11.12(Wed)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It usually indicates bacterial infection. Maracyn treats gram postiive bacteria, Maracyn 2, gram negative. So if it's a gram negative bacteria causing the infection (which fin rot usually is), then Maracyn1 would have no effect, but the Maracyn 2 should work.
JC
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.12(Wed)11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so, I haven't noticed a difference so far, but we're only on the third day of treatment now. I just wish I could move to the larger tank right now uggg. Hopefully I will have some improvements by friday which is when I should be ready to do the tank transfer. I really don't want to lost that fish. He's one of my original batch from when I started the whole addiction nearly 2 years ago when I didn't know what I was doing. He was the only goldfish to survive from the original 3.
Thanks for the help, will keep you posted!
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.11.13(Thu)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the infection looking any WORSE? or is it the same? What about the split fins?
JC
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.15(Sat)10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not looking any worse, but it's not looking all that much better either. There is one fin that looks as though there is one little spot that is preventign it from healing, and I"ve been wondering whether or not I should trim it. And the blood spots are still there, though much fainter. Should I move the fish to the biger tank anyway or should I wait until the problem is completely gone. My reasoning was that the water parameters would be much easier to control in the larger setting and the fish would probably have an easier time of it. But would the move be too much stress though?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.11.15(Sat)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would move them.
JC
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.03(Wed)14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I took the suggestion and moved them. Then I had to do another antibiotic treatment as well as adding melafix. All worked well but for one spot on the tail that kept getting reinfected so I eventually trimmed it off at the problem area and the fish have been doing really well since.
I do have another question however. Despite a lot of maintenance, I still have an algae problem in that tank thanks to the previous owner. The water is sparkling clear but there always seems to be dark green algae bloomign under the gravel. The fish seem to think it's a treat and pig out on the stuff whenever it gets stirred up, but it also makes a mess of my sponge filters. What I planned on doing is to fish out the gravel and flush it out with dechlorinated water, and after letting everything settle down for a few days do a 20% water change to get all the much off the bottom glass. After that I was planning on mixing the gravel with some silica sand to reduce the chances of waste accumulating on the bottom but I am worried whether or not it will make a good substrate for plant growth...Can anyone enlighten me?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: