Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
anyone like slug???
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.24(Fri)0:30    Post subject: anyone like slug??? Reply with quote

I just bought slug for my reef tank but umm I think it is starting to eat all my purple color thing on my coral. Does slug eat or harm coral? Does it eat stuff that is trying to grow that could grow into beautiful thing???
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.31(Fri)6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of slug? Is it a snail, a slug, nudibranch? What did the store sell it as?
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.02(Sun)1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a purple slug with two orange thing sticking out of its head and 6 orange things near its butt.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.11.02(Sun)6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the Blue Dorid Nudibranch

and if that is it heres some info on him

http://www.marinebio.com/species.asp?id=30
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.02(Sun)13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup that is the one.... thank you.. I never knew it was a carnivore. it thought it eats dirty stuff off of my rock and that was it. crazy. about breeding.. there is this huge yellowish white patch on my piece of coral. COuld that be its eggs????
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.11.03(Mon)6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it would be eggs or not.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.11.09(Sun)21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not eggs. Probably an area on the coral that has been munched on by the slug and is now infected. A picture sure would be helpful.

Sea Slugs are hard to keep in a tank and rarely live very long. Most of them are highly specialized feeders, with many of them eating ONLY ONE particular thing. Most of them are carnivores that eat the stuff in your tank you would probably prefer they didn't.
I can only think of maybe three or four species that worth the effort of trying to keep. The lettuce slug is a rarity in that it eats algae and lives well in a tank. It is green and ruffled, and costs about six bucks. You can find them in those ads selling reeftank clean-up crews.
If you made the mistake of buying Fiji rock, then your tank is probably crawling with planarian flatworms. There is another slug that eats those worms, and it is a beauty of dark Navy and electric neon blues. It costs a lot more when you can actually find one for sale.

By and large, however, most of the other thousands of nudibranchs are a waste of money and life to buy. I've already mentioned how your local fish store has been screwing you over for months now, but please, before you get sold a blue ribbon eel or something, FIND A BETTER SHOP!!!!! Until you do, you are going to waste a staggering amount of money, and there is no sense in giving that money to a dealer who so obviously doesn't deserve it.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: