Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Convict Tank and Babies!
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EMO_kid
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.28(Fri)22:36    Post subject: Convict Tank and Babies! Reply with quote

Hey everyone, this is my lastest addition to my other aquariums. This is a 20 gallon long tank with currently only a pair of convicts. Nothing special equipment wise: Aqua Clear 150, 100W Visitherm heater, regular gravel, plastic plants. (I wanted to keep this tank as low maintance as possible so I could focus on the breeding.) I obtained these two black convicts on Feb 14 (Valentine's day) and they laid their eggs over this past weekend. So today (Feb 28th) I can see the little fry wiggling with their yolk sacks. This is my first breeding project outside of livebearers and I hope you guys enjoy the pictures.

My male

The Female

Mother with the newly hatched fries.

Thanks for viewing my pictures. Any suggestions or hints to help the upraising would greatly be appreciated. Also, any suggestions concerning tankmates would also be greatly welcomed.
Brobro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.01(Sat)6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool convicts. I was thinking of getting one myself.

Jane
fishboy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)14:42    Post subject: Convicts Reply with quote

Congrats! I just bought a pair of these last weekend. I had an empty 20 gallon, and while I was browsing the fish store to find something I liked, I saw 2 convicts that had all of the other fish in the tank cowering in the top corner, and as I looked closer, I saw a ton of little convict babies! So, I decided to get them. The lady there was really nice and said she could give us the babies for free, but by the time she went back over to the tank to get some, we couldn't find any. So, they are swimming around in the 20 gallon, and the female already has orange on her belly (these are pink convicts). The male has been frantically digging in a little cave I made out of rocks, but I was thinking of taking the flowerpot route. How did you sterilize your flower pot? Good luck with your babies!
Athena'sWake
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.06(Thu)14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Very neat pictures! You have gorgeous fish. Very Happy
little hobby of mine

PostPosted: 2003.03.07(Fri)9:53    Post subject: cool fish ! Reply with quote

Be ready for more though. Convicts are known for frequent breeding. You may even consider keeping only one sex in the tank. Breeding will become a full time job if you don't. Rolling Eyes
EMO_kid
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.08(Sat)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your replies!
Fishboy- The flower pot was not really sterilized in any way. I bought these two pots brand new at a Target or K-mart and brought them home to be washed in warm water. Then I soaked it in a bucket overnite just to be sure it wasn't going to release anything into the water. Good luck with your breeding as well.

I thought I would post a couple of new pictures showing the fries development. These are from Tuesday March 4.
Timeline of breeding:
February 14 - Couple was purchased
February 23- Eggs discovered
February 27 - Eggs hatched
March 3 - Fries became freeswimming
March 5 - yolk sacs completely disappeared

Mother with the cloud of fries.

The fry hiding amoung the gravel. I estimate about 40-50.
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.09(Sun)8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes Exclamation That's a lot of babies! lol, something tells me you won't be keeping all of them...Smile. Your fish look beautiful, probably why they're so attracted to each other Wink . Good luck in raising the fry, and hope you will soon prepare for the next bunch Very Happy .
jweb1369
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.13(Thu)18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man,
I was wondering if I could get some of those fries(3) for free. You couldn't possibly have room for all of them when they start to grow. If you can, please consider my request. Laughing

Thanks,
Josh
fishboy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.13(Thu)22:10    Post subject: Babies Reply with quote

Hey, how are those babies doing? I'm happoy to say mine just hatched, and I now have little wrigglers! I just have a quick question for you. Did you turn the filter off when they were first free-swimming? I have a sponge prefilter attached to the intake on mine, but I'm still paranoid they may get sucked up.
I know my Oscar will soon be getting a nice treat...... If ya know what I mean Wink
EMO_kid
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.15(Sat)13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishboy I actually didn't turn off my filter (Aquaclear 150) for a few reasons. The first being that the filter was set to the far right of the tank and the breeding pot where the fry spend most of their time is on the left. Thus, it wasn't too much water movement to disrupt the babies. The other reason was I still keep the parent in their, and they get to be pretty messy eaters. Its really your call as whether you keep a filter in their or not. Just remember to keep a little water movement of oxygen and to keep up on waterchanges.

jweb1369 - I wouldn't mind at all to send you some fries. But their might be some complications. I've never sent fish through the mail before, I don't have access to an oxygen tank to fill a bag for the fish to send to you. Also you would have to cover shipping cost, which is a bit expensive. Depending where you live it may cost you around $30. If you're still interested, PM me. But I again want to remind you, I have no experience in shipping fish.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: