Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anorexic 10 inch new Koi
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnybrook
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.04(Tue)8:49    Post subject: Anorexic 10 inch new Koi Reply with quote

I bought a large Koi from Wal-mart last week. Was just browsing and saw this huge fish in the tank with all the usual small fry. They never stock them this big--I had to get it.

He is beautiful--no sign of disease. He is energetic. I put him in my established twenty gallon tank after relocating my fantails. He has two four inch Koi to keep him company.

I didn't know carp could be finicky. He won't eat. He doesn't follow the other Koi's cues to go for the food. It's been almost a week. I've tried floating pond fish food. I've tried goldfish flakes. I've tried sinking shrimp pellets. Even threw in bloodworms yesterday to see if he had unsual tastes.

He still looks frightened by my movements. I think he's a wild fish unused to people.

Suggestions? Should I tape black paper over the front of the aquarium to reduce stimulation?

I know my water's right--had the other Koi and some fantails in there for a year.

I don't want my big beautiful fish developing a waistline.

And yes I do have a pond, if you are wondering what I'm doing with these fish--was planning on over-wintering them in the house now.

Thanks for reading--now suggestions?
chris78corvette
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.20(Fri)20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put something for him to hide behind in the tank , a decent sized plant would be good , a little cover would make him feel more secure I would wager.
PonDesigners
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.20(Fri)21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a light turned on? If so, TURN IT OFF. Koi, especially ones in the store, are usually tame, so this is an extremely odd case. How large is he?(inches) I tend to aggree with Chris. Fish naturally enjoy having things to hide in, play around with, and generally feel safe in. Let me know and we can go from there.

If you need additional help, view my pond forum at:
http://www.pondesigners.com/forum
sunnybrook
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.20(Fri)22:30    Post subject: Status report Reply with quote

Thanks for the posting. He is doing well--I do partial water changes to help keep his tank clean. He readily eats large pond fish food, but still dives to the bottom if he thinks I'm looking. He seldoms goes behind his driftwood, prefering to hang out in fron watching the family.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.22(Sun)10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a permanent home? If so, it is way to small. If not, I'd move them to the pond as soon as possible.
sunnybrook
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.22(Sun)12:11    Post subject: ice fish Reply with quote

His pond has been covered with ice most of the winter and still is. What should the outside temperature stabilize at before I put him in? I don't think I can chop a hole in the ice and drop him in!

The other day sandhill cranes descended on the neighboring farm. It's pond was frozen. There they camped, cold, and hungry making a chorus of mating calls. What will they do? The frogs haven't even thawed out yet!

I thought I would wait until the frogs are singing to release my KOI. What do you think????
PonDesigners
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.22(Sun)12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait Until the Temps hit around 70. Any cooler, and well, they will go into shock.At my job we sell fish outside. Last year, the fish came in early, like, a week early, and we decided that 60 degrees would be good enough. We thought wrong. Out of a bag of 100, we lost 85. The cold shocked them right into death. Almost immediately. I would definetly wait.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.02.22(Sun)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just wait till the ice thaws out. Dunno where you live, but wood frogs are known to come out while snow is on the ground.

I've had problems with herons and egrets stealing fish. Unlike cats, they are usually successful. There are many ways to try to deter them. A bird statue may work because herons are solitary. Other ideas range from stretching string between 2 poles to impede landing, screening over the pond, and a sensory that squirts water at moving objects.
sunnybrook
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.22(Sun)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a point about the herons. I've already had some visiting fishermen last summer. I don't want them going after the Koi. Thought about making a small fish pond just for him. I could put a grate over it to keep out birds. Considered stocking the pond with minnows for the herons to catch. I like to birdwatch as much as fish watch so I don't want to discourage them.
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.03.06(Sat)16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pondesigner. Though goldfish can tolerate cold temps, you'd have to acclimate them extremely slowly for them to have a chance, especially if they've been living in thr tropical temps of a fishtank. If spring (and 70degree weather) isn't in the foreseeable future, I would buy a big (70g) rubbermaid-style storage bucket and use it for your koi. Hook up a filter and dump some BIO-Spira in and your Koi should be good till warmer weather.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: