Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Salt Film on walls?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marta
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.02(Sun)10:20    Post subject: Salt Film on walls? Reply with quote

HI!
I am setting up my first saltwater tank. It is 10 gallons. I am cycling it right now and I have my salinity at 1.020. What I noticed is this flim like texture on the walls of my tank. I am not sure if it is salt or something else. would it be safe to just clean it of the wall? Any tips are welcome. I have done freshwater tanks for a while now, and salt tanks are very new for me.

Thanks
elchupacabra
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.03(Mon)20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like salt kreep or creep, (I don't know) but salt normaly gets on things you don't want it too (dry things that is, there shouldn't be a film on the glass submerged in the water). You can clean it or scrape it back in the water if you want it won't matter.
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.12(Wed)2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

what color is it??? I have some of that in my tank and it is about 2-3 months young.. if it is purple.. then it is bad.. if green then depends.. and anyother color..then I dunno...
Marta
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.12(Wed)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, It is like a white cloudy film that is on the inside walls of my tank. About a week ago (out of fustration) I took one of the algae scrub sponges, and took all th film off the walls. THen I did a water change and so far it has not come back (yet). I have no idea what it could be! I wonder what it is so I know just in case it comes back.
elchupacabra
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.17(Mon)15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we'd have to see for sure, if its just a light film though, and you know you cleaned the tank and sand and everything really well, them I'm sure its nothing to worry about. I noticed a very faint white film a few days ago on my new 55 gal thats cycling right now, The film seem to have turned a very faint green though so I guess its algae. The film on my tank though is barely noticable. Another thing It might be is if there is a big temperature difference between the outside and inside (my house is 50 degrees F outside and the tank is 80) of the tank salt might crystalize on the walls. Either way inless it becomes an eye sore it shouldn't hurt anything.
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.21(Fri)5:22    Post subject: white film Reply with quote

Very Happy aahhh the joys of cycling a new tank *sigh* . I know for a fact that what you are currently dealing with is a bacterial bloom . perfectly safe and quite normal . just wait a while then you can safely clean it off your viewing surfaces, I hope this helped and good luck with your new tank Razz
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.01(Mon)9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I could think of on the inside in the water would be film (diatom) alge also.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brownalgcontfaqs.htm it can show up as a light film or a heavier dark film. This is a normal stage of the tank and everyone goes through it.

As far as the salt creep if it gets on the lid and other parts, I found it comes off quite easily with warm water. If you get the hard white film on the glass (hood, outside) that doesn't come off a vinegar and water mix works wonders on that.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: