Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
WHite stuff growing out of live rock???
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.22(Wed)19:10    Post subject: WHite stuff growing out of live rock??? Reply with quote

I have these two live rocks. and It has been two weeks now in my tank. THey are growing out a thick layer of white stuff. REALLY REALLY THICK white stuff. IS that good ? or is it bad for my tank? should I take the rock out???? what is that white stuff???
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.23(Thu)6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get more description or possibly a picture?

Is it fuzzy or hard looking? Blubous, rough, smooth? etc.

What are you water parameters? Have you added anything else to the tank recently? Was it Live or Dead? If live was it cured?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.23(Thu)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks kinda like spider web. Fuzzy I would say. I tested my water and everything is normal except nitrite is about between 0.2 to 0.4 normally it is 0.2 I just added live rocks recently. what do you mean by Cured live rock?? the rock that grows white stuff on it seemed to be dead when I add it in. I took the fuzzy white stuff out of the rock yesterday and when I woke up this morning they grew again, underneath the white stuff are yellow flower, TInny little yello flower.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.31(Fri)6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your getting a nitrite reading you shouldnt have anything in your tank. Nothing should be introduced untill all ammonia and nitrites are at 0. The live rock you added was it fresh from a lfs? Did you order it by email? How was it when you got it. Fresh lr can be added to the tank directly without any side effects. If it was any other way with any die off at all it can cause an ammonia/nitrite spike because of the die off decaying. If you have an established tank and get uncured or any lr that was shipped, it needs to be cured in a seperat container. Use a powerhead and a heater and keep it in there until the rock is cured. Live rock faq http://sps.reefkeepers.org/LiveRockFAQ.htm

Theres so many things found in sw its hard to tell without a pic.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: