Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Keeping pond goldfish over winter
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corydoras
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.19(Sun)19:26    Post subject: Keeping pond goldfish over winter Reply with quote

I have a small (60 gallon) pond in my back yard - it's only 16 inches at the deepest part, so I know I couldn't possibly keep the fish outside during the Alberta winter. As advised at my LFS, I bought a large rubbermaid container (almost the size of the pond) and put it in my basement with the filter and plants from the pond (I was told to cut the reeds back). I have 6 small feeder goldfish that I bought when I set up the pond in the spring. I almost lost one when I brought them in - after a few hours he was floating in the 'pond' and would barely even try to swim away if you touched him - but he bounced back after I added some melafix to the water. I have two questions...will this set-up work for the winter and if not, how can I fix it? Now that the fish aren't getting any natural foods from outdoors, what and how much should I feed them? Thanks for your input.
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.10.19(Sun)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your LFS had the right idea. They should be fine in their over the winter.
Is your basement finished (or more to the point, is it heated?) If you can keep the temp low (40ish), the goldies will go dormant. Their metabolism slows way down, and they don't need nearly as much food. They could probably get by with monthly feeding, or even less.
corydoras
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.19(Sun)20:46    Post subject: fish in basement Reply with quote

Yes, my basement is finished and is heated. I have the fish next to an outside wall and under a window to keep them a little cooler, but it's still close to room temperature; so I don't think the fish will go dormant. What food should I give them through the winter and how much? Also, will it be harmful to them if they don't have that dormant cycle?
corydoras
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.20(Mon)23:58    Post subject: another question Reply with quote

Something else I forgot to ask - I know that my 60G pond is way too small for 6 goldfish...it's probably too short to keep even one of my comets. How long can I keep these fish without it being harmful to them (I.e. stunting their growth). My neighbour is planning to build a larger pond in his back yard next year or the year after - would I be able to keep them until then and give at least some of them to him once he has his pond set up and cycled? If not, I'll have to start searching for good homes for them. Also, since my pond is so small, what other fish could I put in it? I've seen many other fish suggested for ponds, but they are usually bigger fish or the people live in a warm climate. What small-fish options are there for a colder climate? My main concern is to have fish that will eat any mosquito larvae to prevent West Nile Virus; as well as give the pond more personality. Thanks.
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.21(Tue)6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosy red minnows are very inexpensive, small, can handle a wide range of temps, and will eat mosquito larvae. White cloud mountain minnows are another small pond fish that would work well. They are a little more expensive, but still a good buy and they are more colorful than rosy reds. There are many varieties of white clouds available, including standard, long fin, red, and golden.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: