Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Temperament and lifespan
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.18(Sat)4:53    Post subject: Temperament and lifespan Reply with quote

Could someone please tell me the lifespan and temperament of bitterling and bullheads(Miller's Thumb)?
tropical laura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.21(Tue)2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitterling have a life span of four to five years, They are 6-9 cms long and they feed mainly on plant and animal plankton. They are peaseful with other fish.

Bullheads live 5-10 years ,are 6-7 inches long and young bullheads feed on immature insects, leeches, and crustaceans while adults eat clams, snails, plant material, and FISH, so Bullheads may not be the best fish in the world as it may eat smaller fish than itself.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.21(Tue)9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually depending on the species Bullheads can be anywhere from 8cm to 57cm. DO you know the scientific name for these particular fish?
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.21(Tue)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latin name is cottus gobio. I don't need to know the size of this species though, because I think I know. According to what I have researeched they rarely reach 6 inch, but normally reach 4 inch in length.
I know they might eat smaller fish than themselves, but this could be a good thing in order to keep populations down, so there is no over crowding.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.21(Tue)12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Cottus&speciesname=gobio

This particular species gets to be 18cm or 7 inches. Eats mostly small bottom invertebrates, mainly insects, crustaceans.

HTH
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.22(Wed)1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if this species is territorial?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.22(Wed)6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the link I posted. It's got some great info. Also, try doing a googfle search. You'll get all kinds of info that way.
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.22(Wed)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already searched google and looked at the link, but I couldn't find anything about life span and temperament for cottus gobio. I know now that you would describe the bitterlings temperament as peaceful, but what word would you use to describe the bullhead(cottus gobio) temperament?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.24(Fri)7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two wordss,...generally peaceful. Like all cats I would keep an eye on anything that it can fit in it's mouth, for even though fish aren't a part of its general diet, you never know what may happ[en.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.26(Sun)16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common name confusion!

The fish I believe he/she is talking about is the freshwater sculpin(cottus sp.) which is also known as the bullhead. Tropical Laura must have thought the fish mentioned was the bullhead....as in catfish.

Depending on where you caught it, you could have severla different species. Chances are if you caught it in Eastern N. America its Cottus Bairdii, the mottled sculpin. They are usuall peace with fish they cannot eat. They are inactive, and generally get to 3-8 inches depending on species. For 4 inch fish, a ten gallon could house a trio, as long as you watch the female,s the males can eat them if they are hungry enough!

More info can be found at www.nanfa.org(go to articles and find the one on sculpins)
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: