Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My pond....a fish with caving in head?!?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angelicdeity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.16(Thu)4:24    Post subject: My pond....a fish with caving in head?!? Reply with quote

I have a question about a particular koi I have in my pond. It appears that its head is caving in, its pretty gross actually, can anyone think of a reason for this? Another fish has a large and deformed gill cover.

At the momment all my goldfish are spawning and their fins are ripped up, what should I do, or should I just leave them?

ONe of our very large koi appears to have had a scale ripped off, and that area is now white...what is this..fungus? Got any ideas?
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.16(Thu)7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the large koi has the white stuff, it is a fungus. It probably looks like cotton hanging off of him. You'll probable need to treat this so it goes a way faster, especially with their bodies slowing down for the winter. That cottony stuff is like our scabs, it just covers up a wound till it is healed.
55g Community
75g. Reef tank (cycling)
135g. Needlenose gar, tiretrack eel tank
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.16(Thu)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamprice271 wrote:
You'll probable need to treat this so it goes a way faster, especially with their bodies slowing down for the winter.

Unless you are in the Southern Hemisphere, of course. Wink
angelicdeity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.17(Fri)3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its nearly summer, as I live in Australia.
Yea I thought it might be fungus too, but the thing I am most concerned about is the koi with the caving in head...I am wondering if it's perfectly healthy or if I should put it down.

Thanks guys
AlleyCat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.17(Fri)7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing the fish it's hard to say exaclty what's wrong with him, and as you're in Australia...guess you can't pop over to show us.
So can you tell us what else there is in the pond with him/her, how big is the pond ( in gallons or litres). How long has it been set up with water...How big is the koi? And finally do you have a tank you can toss him into so you can medicate him on his own?

A.C.
angelicdeity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.19(Sun)0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the pond and all its fish came with a house my parents bought, so it has been set up for about 5-6 years (possibly longer).
It is about 9500L (its a very weird shape to fit with the landscaping), and has a lot of koi and goldfish (too many, and we are trying to find homes for some of them), however there is no water quality problem. We have a smaller pond which should be used to medicate,about 3000L.

The fish has been like this (but getting worse) since we bought the house, it looks as if his head (over his gill cover) is caving in, as in dented massively. His brain (I think) is visible as a dark spot in his head. I would guess its a deformity, or incurable (from its extent) but I am willing to try stuff.
There is another fish whoses left gill cover is rather deformed, its kind of 'bigger' or had a growth on it.

Thanks Kylie
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: