Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how do I determine what grows in my tank is good or bad???
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.20(Mon)10:16    Post subject: how do I determine what grows in my tank is good or bad??? Reply with quote

I have a problem... I have a white piece of dead coral.. and it is in my tank for about 2 months now.. All types of color is on it and mostly purple. THis morning when I woke up I saw purple wavy thingie comes out of it. is that a good thing or a bad thing?? also there are Dark green color and Red all over my white piece of coral.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.10.20(Mon)14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like various forms of micro-algae and maybe even some small truncates or sponges. They will neither harm nor hurt you tank. They do add some nice color and variety though.

What are your tank specs? Size, lighting, livestock?

Last edited by SoS on 2003.10.21(Tue)13:52; edited 1 time in total
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.20(Mon)23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

29 gallon eclipse, 2 percula clowns, 1 firetail fish, 1 orange tail damsel, 1 green mandarin, and one scooter blenny who is dying.. ( very skinny, and just sit there instead of running around).
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.20(Mon)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another problem.. I Have sumthing called lava rock. and this other black looking rock.. as of now they are not live rock. WIll they ever live rock under the correct condition??? So far my tank grew 2 feather duster out of no where and now they about 2 inches long. so yeah.. please tell me if anything will ever grow out of the lava rock, and that black rock that I have. Thank you..
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.10.21(Tue)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live rock is very porous coral skeletons that are the home to millions of bacteria and the calcium in live rock also acts as a pH buffer for the tank.

Other rock doesn't contain this buffering and also some rock may have the opposite effect and hurt your pH.

I'd monitor your pH if you are having trouble maintaing it I'd remove the black rock. The Lava rock should be fine.

The Scooter and the Mandarin are competing for the same food source. Amphipods(small inverts in the tank) Even in a well aged 29 gal I'd doubt you have the food supply for both of them. I recommend you find a home for both of them. I wouldn't recommend either for a tank less than 55 gal with good amount of live rock.

I keep a mandarin in my 55. I also stocked the tank with Amphipods in my refugium. You can get Amphipods here www.ipsf.com
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.22(Wed)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my pH and it was at 8.0 to 8.2 I guess it is alrite. I have a piece of anemony and it doesn't seem to bloom as big as it used to be. It was a lot bigger in my other tank. what can I do to make it bigger? THe base has expanded about 7 inches which is bigger when it was in my old tank (4 inch) but the tentacle are not big. what is its problem?
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.10.22(Wed)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water quality and water flow have the biggest impact on Anenomes. The most drastic changes in my Anenome is when his water flow is diverted.

Are you using Filtered water?
Darthvadersmom
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.22(Wed)15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wet/dry filter system and I have two wave maker in my tank so filtration and water flow is not a problem... I think. The thing is my anemony used to attached itself to a piece of live rock I had. but since I moved him into my new tank. he detached himself and flow around and it is on the front of my tank. I don't know if I should move it to a place with more water flow or should I leave him therE? I heard that they move whereever they like right?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.31(Fri)6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darthvadersmom

Just how long is your tank going? The purple is corraling alge is a calcium based alge and the desired alge that people want. Purple wavy things though could you get a pic? Does it look like this http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/algae_page/mesophyllum.htm if so its just another type of corraline and harmless. If not try to get that pic. The dark green and red is it slimy when you touch it? Does it blow around easy when you wave your hand over it? If so theres a good chance it would be cyanobacteria. This is a bad nuciance alge that you don't want and is very hard to get rid of. http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/picture_pages/faq_cyano.html.. Several things can cause this overfeeding, hi nitrates, old lighting, low circulation, phosphates and silicates. It will cover everything and become an nusiance. It also can cover corals and such and suffocate them.

As for your 29 gall your actually over stocked. Maby for the 29 you could have the 2 clowns and maby one small fish like a goby of some type but no more than that. A good rule for saltwater is 1 inch per 5 gall where some after they get exp go with 1 inch per 3 gall. You can't stock sw like you can fw. Saltwater actually holds less oxygen so you should go with less fish. Get the mandarin and scooter out, they eat pods very few of them will eat frozen foods and need live. I wouldnt reccomend a mandarin in anything less then a 55 if even, and they need a well established tank of at least a year before being introduced. The scooter has the same feeding habits not quite as bad but still need a lot of critters to eat. They are both in the dragonette family even though the scooters are sold as blennys they are not. For one mandarin you should have at least 80 lbs of live established rock for it to survive properly and even then they can wipe out the population quite a bit.

Lava rock isnt quite the first choice for reefs, I've seen it used for fish only. Depending on where it came from it could contain minerals or possibley metals that can go into the aquarium. If you can't afford lr a good choice is lace rock. It can be found at landscaping stores, its cheap and safe for sw tanks. Your best bet is to get that and seed it with a piece or 2 of lr. As far as the unknown black rock get it out if not sure what it is. If your careful you can scrape the feather dusters off carefully they will reattach themselves somewhere else.

Your pH can come up a bit best range is 8.2-8.4 for a sw tank. Also alkalinity will play a big role in how your pH is maintained they work together. Your alkalinity should be at 9-12 dkh. When your alk drops it will drop your pH.

How long have you had your anenome? What kind of lighting is on the tank? How are your water parameters amm, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alk any of them can affect and anemone. They need perfect water quality and bright light to stay alive. They will move on there own he may just be looking for a place he likes also.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.31(Fri)6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cyano link didn't work ill try again

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/picture_pages/faq_cyano.html
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: